TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

SHARP AQUOS TV The power and the OPC light are flashing when

Customer Question
SHARP AQUOS TV The power and...
SHARP AQUOS TV
The power and the OPC light are flashing when we try to turn on the TV but it does not come on. What is the problem?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
8/9/2011
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Can you please get me the model number located on the back of the set?

Also, are both lights flashing continuously, or is one or both flashing like 2 blinks, pause, 2 blinks, pause, etc.?

Model # XXXXX

They both blink once together and then the Power light blinks once then they both blink together.

Thank you for the reply.

The flashing light would indicate that there is a short inside the set stopping it from fully powering up.

While it's hard to tell 100% for certain what went wrong without performing some tests, it is most probable that there is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets.

The capacitors are located on the power board inside the set, where the AC cord plugs into and can be replaced by a Tech for no more than $150 parts and labor if this is the case. The power board itself will run you roughly between $350-$450 to have replaced.

The set definitely requires component testing and replacement in order to get it to function properly again. Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again. Do you have any experience testing live voltages, or soldering on electronic equipment?

If not, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a technician in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Aric, Technician
Sounds like I should get a new one instead of repair this one? It's about 4 years old.

At the cost of replacing the power supply, you're getting close to it being better to purchase a new set. At the cost of having the caps replaced, it is likely worth it to repair the set.

Aric, Technician