TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Panasonic TV with no startup and flashing red 11 times. Whats

Panasonic TV with no startup...
Panasonic TV with no startup and flashing red 11 times. What's it mean, how to fix?

Thanks
8/6/2011
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. What's the model number?
2. Does it start blinking as soon as you plug it in, or only after you try to turn it on?
3. Do you plan to repair it yourself or are you just trying to see if it's reparable and at what cost?

Respectfully,
TC-P42SI

It was plugged in. I hit "On". Red flashing. I unplugged. Now whenever plugged in, blinks.

I had a similar issue 1.5 years ago, got it repaired through JA with a couple boards from Panasonic. I can't remember if the red light count was the same as now (11). I had a good experience through JA at that time.

I plan to repair myself, provided boards are less than a new TV. The TV (and myself) are on a little rock in the Caribbean. No authorized repair shops nearby. I usually ship stuff to a Chicago address, and get it here from Chicago.

Thanks
It was blinking 10 times... December 2009. You sure it's 11 this time, and not 10?
When off for awhile, I have to turn it ON. Initial red light, then 10 blinks. However, every cycle theerafter is 11 blinks. The stinker even goes through several cycles of blinking after it's been unplugged. 11 times, 11 times. My wife counted also, 11 blinks.

11 blinks is cheaper/easier, right?
Please read this whole post. If you have more questions afterward, just ask. Once you're satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback about our conversation, please click the green "Accept" button (that's how I get paid). Thanks!

>>11 blinks is cheaper/easier, right?<<

Yes, it actually is. 11 blinks means there's a faulty fan inside the TV. The easy part is that there are only 2 fans, so it's pretty easy to narrow down. We just need to remove the TV's rear panel to have a look. Try to turn the TV on and see if one of them doesn't spin up right away. If neither fan spins, we might have something more serious going on like a power supply or main board issue... but those would typically be more rare.

If the 10 blinks persists along with this 11 code, you might be looking at that "A" board again. This would be our suspect if the 10 and 11 keep happening together.

If you do narrow it down to a fan, the replacement part number is L6FAYYYH0094 and a new one is about $15.

You've answered, but let me check the fan with the back off, etc. The blinking wasn't alternating, just the first. If it's only a fan issue, can I do a bypass and see if the set starts (not to run, just start) to see if that's it, or does the startup check for fan voltage, not just dead?

My pillow is calling, so I won't be inside the set 'til tomorrow AM.

Thanks. You're the kind of person that makes JA such a great site.

Rich
Rich,

I appreciate the kind words.

The fans in your TV have feedback loops that trigger the SOS when they don't spin up. So no, you can't really bypass them.

No rush on the tests... take as long as you need. I'm on here every day, off and on... so please be patient if you respond tomorrow and I do not reply immediately.