Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience:  20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
34633555

We replaced the power supply board in our Hitachi 50 plasma

We replaced the power supply board in our Hitachi 50" plasma TV and yet we are still experiencing the same issue. When you turn the power on you can hear sound for on second and screen goes totally blank. Indicator light flashes blue three times. Does the TV need to be reset when the power supply board is changed out? If so, how is this done?
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony F. replied 5 years ago.

Anthony's TV :

Hello JA Customer I have been fixing Tv and Electronics since I was 5 years old With better than 20 years experience and 17 years in business

Anthony's TV :

The sears technician is wrong

Anthony's TV :

the 3 blinks indicates a Y SUS failure NOT A POWER BOARD

Anthony's TV :

Pull the 2 Y sus Buffers off the Y sus MAIN and see of the tv will stay on

Customer:

Not sure how to do that, which are the Y sus buffers? Do I need to replace anything or just pull them?

Anthony's TV :

just pull them for now

Anthony's TV :

do not disconect them from the plasma panal

Anthony's TV :

DO disconect them from the Y sus board to the right

Anthony's TV :

of them on the left side of the tv

Anthony's TV :

from the rear\

Customer:

We have the TV open now and we do see the Y SUS board, we just need a little more clarification on what to pull. What are the buffers?

Customer:

We pulled the connection on the top right side of the board and turned the TV on - light still blinks three times. We re-connected it and pulled the two connections on the left side of the board to the SDR-U and the SDR-D boards and turned the TV on. The light still blinked three times. Are we pulling the wrong things?

Anthony's TV :

you got it right the second time

Anthony's TV :

you are going to need to replace the Y sus

Anthony's TV :

and 2 buffers

Customer:

So the buffers are the SDR boards?

Anthony's TV :

SDR-U and SDR-D = Upper and Lower Buffer if you disconected them from the Y board and tried the set and had no change the Y board is bad

Customer:

Yes, I disconnected them and there was no change. I ordered the Y SUS board last night. Are you saying this should fix the problem? Sorry if I sound ignorant, I just want to make sure I understand. Do we also need the SDR boards?

Anthony's TV :

I always change the SDR boards because they blow a y sus board if they are shorted

Anthony's TV :

so it would be smart to change all 3

Customer:

Any advice on where to purchase them quickly and cheaply??

Anthony's TV :

ShopJimmy Ebay they may be hard to get

Customer:

I got the y sus board through Shopjimmy - we should have it tomorrow.

Customer:

If the SDR boards are not changed out will they damage the new sus board?

Customer:

Update - we just installed the SUS board - it's STILL blinking three times!! How do we proceed? We found a service flow chart that say if it's not the YSUS board it's either one of the SDRs or the logic - how do we know what need to replace? We are running out of $$ and patience trying to fix this darn TV!! Thanks.

Customer:

After trying some more experiments after installing the YSUS board we discovered if you unplug the buffer boards and turn the TV on the light blinks twice. Plug them back in, it blinks three times again as expected. If you disconnect the logic board and turn the tv on the light stays on. I can only assume this means we need to replace the logic board????

Anthony's TV :

no

Anthony's TV :

it means the you need the SDrU and the SDR D

Anthony's TV :

and your Y sus sounds like its good

Anthony's TV :

the 3 blinks can only tell you if there is short on the Y sus line

Anthony's TV :

that includes SDR u and SDR-D

Anthony's TV :

these boards are tough to find

Anthony's TV :

let me know if you find them anywhere

Anthony's TV :

2 blinks means you have a bad X board

Anthony's TV :

but if you pulled the Y board

Anthony's TV :

it feeds the X board

Anthony's TV :

so you would get 2 blinks becuase the X board no longer has half of its supplys

Customer:

We should have the SDR boards in the next couple of days. I found the parts at www.cceparts.com