TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Sony Wega 55 inch TV. Screen goes black every 30 seconds or

Sony Wega 55 inch TV...
Sony Wega 55 inch TV. Screen goes black every 30 seconds or so and audio cuts out. Stays black for 30 -45 seconds and comes back on. When it comes back on it makes a high buzz sound in the right rear. The audio takes a while to come back on and it keeps doing this over and over. The green light in the front stays on and does blink or go red. All connections are tight. I've tried to unplug TV, but hasn't worked.
7/31/2011
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

Try this first -- Unplug your Cable box or whatever is causing the bad picture and sound, not the TV. The TV works with the box that's delivering the Picture and Sound, and it could be the box has locked up. Unplug the power cord for a full 5 minutes to ensure your box shuts down it's computer. You always have to unplug any equipment for 5 minutes to do a hard reset.

Next, do this if it doesn't restore normal operation -- Get your TV's model number, and your box's brand and model number too. We need to know what we're working on.

Then check your other equipment connected using the HDMI or COMPONENT input jacks on your TV set. If ALL INPUTS are misbehaving, then we know the TV is where we look, and if only ONE out of ALL inputs is misbehaving, then we look at the box connected to that specific input.

This is a troubleshooting process we call "Divide and Conquer" -- it isolates the symptom you are having.

Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Hello JA Customer
I have been fixing Tv and Electronics since I was 5 years old
With better than 20 years experience and 17 years in business

I am going to give an answer that is very much significantly different

Replace your Lamp
if you give me the Model number I will source an ORIGINAL lamp for you

This tv uses a High Pressure Metal Halide Gas Discharge Lamp
The lamp is cycling due to its age ...(It should have been changed long before this occurred)
The lamp is unable to maintain an ARC...and the tv turns on as soon as the lamp starts to draw current it draws to much and the ballast shuts the lamp down..Then you hear the HV BZZZZZ of the ballast trying to ignite the lamp and the lamp is not ready yet so it trys again then it ignites and the process repeats over an over just like the Street Lamp outside on the pole that goes on and off all night (Same lamp by the way)

Please Accept the answer that is more right
Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Anthony F.
Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center