Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

my flat screen toshiba tv power light keep blanking no picture

Customer Question

my flat screen toshiba tv power light keep blanking no picture at all, can't turn it off with the remote or power button. Hooked up a new samsung hd cable box, trouble started right after. Spoke to cablevision technician said something is wrong with my tv because power outlet is not plug into cable box. can you give me some answers.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. What's the model number? Look on the rear of the TV, please.
2. How many times does the power light flash before pausing and flashing again? Should be flashing in groups.

Respectfully,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dan the model # XXXXX I counted 50 flashes and counting there is no intervals about 3 seconds between each flashes.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Do you want to repair this yourself? Do you have experience? Tools?

Or are you just trying to figure out it's reparable?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just trying to figure if it's a simple solution to my problem. After speaking to a technician at cablevision and they reset my box if was fixed for about 10 hours now the problem has return.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Please read this whole post. If you have more questions afterward, just ask. Once you're satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback about our conversation, please click the green "Accept" button (that's how I get paid). Thanks!

Ok, I understand. Well, everything is reparable. It just boils down to cost effectiveness. So the question is: Will this be cost effective to repair? Maybe.

Without a decent working knowledge of electronics and test equipment (a voltmeter, at the very least), the only thing you can do at this point is unplug the TV for a while. Sometimes these issues are just "glitches" that can be cleared by removing power for an hour or longer (overnight).

If this persists, you definitely have an internal failure here and you will need a technician to take a look. Without making any measurements, it’s tough to say with any certainty what the problem is, but there is a short list of possible malfunctions including the power supply and the main board. It could also be the panel (the screen) but that's typically more rare.

The power supply takes the line input... chops/rectifies/filters it, and sends out a series of DC voltages. A fault here could very easily explain your symptoms, really because it's the base for everything else. Repair here will vary depending on where you live, and on part availability, but usually runs $250-$350.

The main board handles the I/O capabilities and processing. So this could also be your issue. Repair here will be more than the power supply, usually by $100-$200.

So if the unplug doesn’t cure this, consider having a tech take a look. Some diagnostics shouldn't run more than $50-$75, and most of that would be put toward the final bill should you decide to have it repaired. If you’d like, feel free to post back with your zip or postal code and I’ll see if I can find a local repair center for you, ok?

Respectfully,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Dan I will first leave it unplug over night. Keep your fingers cross for me. My postal zip is 11208, Brooklyn, ny
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
If the unplug doesn't help, you have lots of repair options around you. Start with TV Repair NY... 718-635-0120. You can also try American TV Service... 347-867-8978.