TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a 56 Samsung Slim Line DLP HLT5676SX/XAA. A while

Customer Question
I have a 56" Samsung...
I have a 56" Samsung Slim Line DLP HLT5676SX/XAA. A while ago the TV started to show lines around the images where colors changed and watching tv both in HD and SD became pretty much unbearable. The repair tech said that the light engine needed to be replaced and due to the cost of the repair i found a factory refurbished light engine for much cheaper online. Finding a new one was almost impossible for this 4 year old TV. Light engine is now installed and while the lines were gone (thinking they were the cause of maybe a bad DMD board) the color is just AWFUL. The ballast, color wheel, lamp, dmd board and chip are all the parts replaced. I've searched for hours and tried adjusting the cca and index delay because of the dmd replacement and color wheel replacement. I followed the instructions for my TV that the service manual lays out.

Now i am stumped, i have dumped more money into this big paper weight and i have a tv with extremely messed up color. The colors look very red, and in dark light almost all red. I reset the cca settings back to the default my manual says they should be and i can't even get a normal picture. Is another part broken, could this color wheel be shot? I see abundance of green in some scenes, almost always tons of red and some times blue. Mostly it's just one big red image, and faces look like bad sunburn. I some some mention removing a jumper when installing a new color wheel but i don't have a jumper the tv always had the newer air suspension color wheel. The colors were fine before with all the old parts but the lines were all over. I've tried replacing the old color wheel and still this problem persists. Any ideas or is it time to trash this set?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
7/21/2011
TV Technician: Frank the tv man, Technician replied 6 years ago
Frank the tv man
Frank the tv man, Technician
Try adjusting the index delay. Also if you still have the original Light engine try putting it back in. Then go into service mode and copy the setting on the dmd board to digtial board. Then install the new (refurb engine) and copy the settings from the digtal to dmd. I am assuming you know how to go into service mode.
I've adjusted the index delay to almost every number and there really is no number that shows an acceptable picture, the colors are all still banding together and reddish. The optics are original, the dmd board that was on the machine before is broken as a few of the parts came loose front he board where the cables attach so unfortunately i was not able to retrieve my old settings. Originally i was told to do dmd -> digital board when i should have done digital board to dmd.
I am afraid there is no good answer without being able to go back to your original default settings.
Relist: Incomplete answer. Expert did not explore other options beyond service menu settings from old part. What about calibration? Can this be done to restore color settings without the old part?
TV Technician: TV Tech1, Technician replied 6 years ago
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

Relist : Irrepairable damage done by customer.

Sockets/Parts pulled off Digital board and DMD transfer was done backwards.

Frank was doing all he could to help.

Here is the Facts --

1 You need a new Digital board

2 You need to transfer Digital to DMD since you deposited bad DMD info into the Digital board - it's totally worthless with bad data, and now you need to get a NEW Digital board, and transfer it's GOOD info into your rebuilt engine.

3 I'm surprised you didn't make that connection

4 Thanks Mr Obvious....I didn't make the connection. Garbage disposal eh? I thought it was an animal.....

If you have any questions, just ask

If you are finished, please press the ACCEPT button.

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

I was actually just following the instructions the repair shop sent with the engine. I was able to reattach the chip that came off the old DMD board and get my cca data from the dmd board sent back to the digital board, and the problem still persists so it's obviously not the data that is causing the problem and something else is going on. Because of that i am able to return the refurbished engine to the shop and scrap the TV.

For customers coming on here to PAY to ask questions you really should reel in your attitude, especially if you expect tips.
TV Tech1
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician