PramitP
PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University
12720903

I have a SANSUI LCD TV model SV4700lcd. The tv will not power

Customer Question

I have a SANSUI LCD TV model SV4700lcd. The tv will not power on regardless of what I do. The red button in the middle (Power LED) is fleshing constantly. I have unpluged it and pluged it back, but the result is the same. Can you help me?

Benny Eizenberg
Category: TV
Expert:  PramitP replied 6 years ago.

PramitP :

Hello, Welcome to Justanswer.

PramitP :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you out.

PramitP :

Are you there?

PramitP :

Can you tell me how old the TV is and since when are you having this problem.

Expert:  PramitP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. My name is Pramit and I will be glad to help you out.

Can you tell me how old the TV is and since when are you having this problem?

Do you hear any kind of clicking sound, like the TV is trying to turn on but is not able to?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The tv is 3 years old. The problem started 3 hours ago. No clicking sound.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are you there
Expert:  PramitP replied 6 years ago.
You seem to have a problem with the power supply board. That is the most probable cause of this problem. This is usually due to the high voltage capacitors on the power supply board. This sometimes can also be because of some IC failure on the power supply board or the main board.

You will have to get the power supply board examined for errors. You will have to call Sansui at (27) 11 - 490 9000 and request a service. If you wish to get it done locally, let me know your area and I will try to locate a service center close to your location.
Expert:  PramitP replied 6 years ago.
There might be bad or burnt components such capacitors or rectifiers or fuse. Most of the times there are swollen caps or burnt resistors which need replacement. The bad components are a result of heat or cold solders etc. If you remove the main board and inverter from the power board and the power stays ON, then its either the inverter or the main board. Here, there is a very good chance that it could be the main fuse. Usually when there is no LED, the main fuse(located near the point from where the power cord leaves the power supply board) is open(and needs to be replaced) but without proper diagnosis, who knows! Prior to these you have to open the back and clean the dust.

The capacitors are of rating like 1000mfd 50v . If you replace them by yourself, make sure that 1000mfd(microfarad) remains constant and the voltage is atleast 50V.

A bulged capacitor looks like the one in the image below
View Full Image
View Full Image
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The think is that the Power LED is NOT off - it is fleshing continuasly instead of staing ON permanently. SO the power is there, just the TV will not switch on...
Expert:  PramitP replied 6 years ago.
I understand your problem. This is a safety feature of the TV so that it does not cause further damage. Hence it does not allow the TV to turn on until the problem is solved. You will have to get the power supply board examined for the same. Till then you will get a flashing LED.

You can try unplugging the set for 4-5 hours but this is a soft reset and might only be of temporary help if at all.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I see. What about HIFI Corp. - I got it from them. Would they help me?
Expert:  PramitP replied 6 years ago.
Sure they can. You can contact HiFi Corp at 0860 459 459 and request for a service and they will help you from there.