TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

my partner washed the remote control in the washing machine

Customer Question
and it may be coincidence...
my partner washed the remote control in the washing machine and it may be coincidence but since then the tv will not always come on either via the remote or on off button on right . I have to keep my finger on the on off button till led stanby light goes off and back on. I then have to press any buttons on the remote randomly until it eventually comes on. I have restored factory settings but this has made no difference. Any thoughts? Would a new remote help ? My tv is 32" RV 635 DB
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
7/12/2011
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Do you have access to a cell phone camera, or digital camera?

What we need to do is view the tip of the remote through the viewfinder of a digital camera and press the power button several times. You should see a bright flash of light each time you press power.

Let me know if this occurs.

the bright light does flash each time i press the power

Okay, then the remote is fine and the problem is in the TV itself.

You stated that the TV has a hard time coming on even when you press the power button on the TV correct?

yes.

Thanks for the reply.

This indicates a component that is failing in the TV. It is most likely an intermittent short on the power board inside the set.

Do you have any experience, or are you comfortable with removing the rear panel of the set and visually inspecting the electronics?

no. if its any help once i get it going it works fine until i i switch it off for a while

That makes sense. It's likely the capacitors on the power board. The hardest ting for them once starting to fail is the initial charge when you turn the set on. Once they hold a charge they will typically be just fine until the set is powered down again. The thing is, it will take longer and longer for the set to turn on until it simply does not anymore.

To have these replaced typically costs around $200 USD, or for a new power supply would be closer to $400 USD. I would recommend taking the set to a TV repairman and having them replace the capacitors in the set.

why is the cost so dear when the tv would when a new tv would only cost £200

In many cases (with almost all electronics), the cost of raw parts and labor is much more expensive than purchasing a new unit. This is mostly because the labor is intensive and time consuming, and the tech will not make any money if he charges less.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you may simply want to use the set until it fails completely and then purchase new.

Aric, Technician
the set is only 22 months old. should this happen so soon
Unfortunately this is not uncommon at all. New TV's are not designed to last more than a few years without some sort of failure.
Aric, Technician