TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a 32 sharp CRT tv probably about 13 years old. It was

Customer Question
I have a 32" sharp...
I have a 32" sharp CRT tv probably about 13 years old. It was working fine and all of a sudden it won't power on. No noises nothing just like it's unplugged. I did check the plugs by the way and all is fine. I can't remember if I had left it on in that room or not so I'm not sure if it shut off on its own or I turned it off. Any easy troubleshooting or fixes? It's a bedroom tv so I don't want to replace but I'm also not dragging it into a repair place. Thanks!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
6/21/2011
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 6 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
27f-s50
Any power issues or storms before it went out?

Tim
No, and it was plugged into a power strip, a fairly large one, and everything else that is plugged into the strip is fine.
Ok and just to be clear...when you plug it in or turn it on, it does nothing at all? (light blink, click noise, etc.)

Tim
No nothing dead as a doornail, kind of mystifying when it was working just fine at least last night. Like I said I don't remember if I turned it off or not, or even if it was on this morning, but last night it was fine. Now no power no lights it might as well be unplugged.
Do you know how to use a meter?

Tim
My last answer doesn't seem to be going through. Tell me what kind of meter I can figure it out.
A meter capable of checking DC voltage and resistance.

Tim
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
I don't own one
There are several things that can cause this.

The most common is the horizontal circuit, when it shorts out it will shut the set down just like yours is doing. This repair normally runs $200-$300 depending on what is found.

However this could also be caused by the vertical circuit, power supply, and high voltage circuit to name a few. The average repair price for any of these is $125-$300 depending on exactly what is found.

However to determine exactly what the problem is will require troubleshooting. Some knowledge of electronics and a multimeter will be needed for this. If you know anyone that has the knowledge/tools I will be more than happy to walk you through the troubleshooting of this set and determine what is wrong. Also most repairs will require good soldering skills so you will need these as well for us to repair the tv after diagnosis. If you don't have any of this then a repairman would be your next step.

I am sorry to bring you the bad news on this one, you definitely have an internal failure in the set that is putting it into shut down.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Thanks Tim that's pretty much what I thought but better to confirm before I chucked it out. Thanks a bunch, I've had to run out I'll leave you good feedback and pay when I get home.
Ok sounds good, let me know if you have any other questions or need anything further.

Tim
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician