TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Sharp Aquos LC-C5262U TV screen is dark but all other functions work.

My Sharp Aquos LC-C5262U model...
My Sharp Aquos LC-C5262U model TV screen went dark (black) last week after several years of perfectly working, but the sounds and all other functions on the TV are perfect. If I turn the lights off you can see the picture just. I think either the back light or lights have gone or one of the boards, but I'm just not 100% and not ready to open up the TV to find out. Appreicate your help on figuring this problem and if its worth fixing or not. thanks Si
6/15/2011
Flatpanel Guru
Flatpanel Guru, Lead Technician HD

Flatpanel Guru :

Welcome to JA, My name is John

Flatpanel Guru :

The problem you are discribing is a common one and can be related to a fault of either the main board or the backlight/backlight inverters

Customer:

hi I am simon

Customer:

common one - ok, is that an easy fix that I can do or does that require a Pro do fix and replace items?!

Flatpanel Guru :

I alway recommend a pro... but it is a simple enough fix hard to diagnose

Flatpanel Guru :

It will require at least one board replacement

Flatpanel Guru :

There is a test i am looking up the info now to help you

Customer:

ok - do have steps to check to find out if it main board / Blacklight or Inverters?!

Customer:

and does the price of these vary?

Flatpanel Guru :

press and hold ch-dn and Vol-up at plugin
for maybe 2-5 seconds.

Flatpanel Guru :

This well put the set into backlight power on, if you have a good invert the set will power on and light the backlight solid with no dark areas... if you see a dark area you have a failed inverter... this set has 4 so you will need a scope to identify which one... If it is the main board the set will not power the backlight... this is a simple test a proper metering of the board is required to confirm but it is 90% this work to identify the failure

Customer:

just so I am clear - you want me to press and hold ch-dn and Vol-up when I turn TV on or plug in tv from mains?!

Flatpanel Guru :

Unplug the power cord to the set, wait 10 second then hold CH UP and VOL UP together and plug in the tv and continue to hold the buttons until it powers

Customer:

ok will do that now

Flatpanel Guru :

okay let me know

Customer:

ok did that

Flatpanel Guru :

I guess i should ask one more thing are you able to see the menu if you press menu on the sharp remote... should have asked that first i just assumed you had already i should never assume, what did you see

Customer:

Screen come up saw text in right hand top corner - normal channel details in white with black screen that flickered few white lines and now its black all over

Customer:

I can see the menu just in white

Customer:

but looks like a black wave is going from top to bottom of the screen

Customer:

now screen menu is disappeared and screen is completely black

Flatpanel Guru :

sounds like a main board failure to me... it could be a failure of the tcon but or even a defective panel but if i had to guess i would say failed main board... the main board is about 200 cheaper from a sharp service but they wont sell you the part unless they repair it so guess that prob about 350 to fix from a service center you could take the hip shot and replace the main board if you order from a reputable site they have a good return policy if it does not resolve it, it would not surprize me it having a failed main board since this is a common issue with this set, i can provide the part number and a few sites i could recommend that have in stock are TSM, moduslink, partstore.com ...black screen is consistant with a failed main board full backlight up means your inverters are good and the backlight is good

Flatpanel Guru :

*apology surprise not surprize (again apology)

Flatpanel Guru :

Part #: DUNTKD934FM02 a very common defect with this model

Customer:

good to know

Flatpanel Guru :

but typically you do not get a white menu which could point to a failure of the tcon which actually is cheaper part but harder to obtain outside of a dealer repair

Customer:

I don't mind trying to fix this myself as I'm good at restoring cars and electrics on them.

Customer:

Tcon - what is that?!

Flatpanel Guru :

I would start with the board also when you have it open check to make sure all the connectors are well sitted, it hardly ever is that simple but worth checking before ordering the board

Customer:

sure that makes sense

Flatpanel Guru :

of course with the power off and disconnect... (disclaimer....)

Customer:

:)

Flatpanel Guru :

Best of luck hope this helps. and best wishes on the project

Flatpanel Guru :

if you have any question please just let me know

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX question

Customer:

for now :)

Flatpanel Guru :

shoot

Customer:

what is the Tcon?

Customer:

and is there any checks I can do as well once get TV off the wall and apart?!

Flatpanel Guru :

oh sorry timing control it is the board that drives the video signal to the panel ussually sealed up in behind all the other boards, and in many cases is sold as part of the panel

Customer:

ok

Customer:

understand

Customer:

so in short I hope its the main board then!

Customer:

as I presume Tcon is hard to get too

Customer:

even though cheaper and harder to obtain!

Flatpanel Guru :

the connectors are the most important ones with plastic being different types and the fact it is hot in the set they can sneak out, yes sometimes very hard to get to and ussualy almost impossible to get outside of a service center... in the case the board doesnt fix it call a local shop most of them outside of sears and best buy charge less then 50 for a diagnostic and some even apply it to the repair

Flatpanel Guru :

Either way this is one of the best LCD on the market ... i own the LC-46d64 and love my sharp, i work on them that is why i own one

Flatpanel Guru :

Should be worth the money to be repair

Customer:

ok sounds good - I will get working on the TV over next few days and try the board replacement and see if that fixes it if not then onto repair person

Customer:

yeah I agree

Customer:

TV is great quality once you adjust the screen settings

Customer:

thanks alo

Customer:

t

Customer:

I will update you in few days on the progress

Flatpanel Guru :

have a good night if you have any other question just post it will alert me i will be on at least another 30 mins or so

Customer:

you have been a great help

Customer:

sure no problem

Customer:

thanks again

Flatpanel Guru :

thank you have a good night

Customer:

speak soon on success on repairs :)

Customer:

good night

Flatpanel Guru :

sorry stupid system i have to be the last to reply or it keeps you as an alert that you have a comment i need to reply to they need to fix that but thanks again, and good luck

Customer:

hi

Customer:

question for you, got the LCD TV cover off and power up looks like the I can see white light on the ends and through holes throughout the back of the unit, I presume this means the back lights are working. I've ordered new main board waiting for it to turn up

Customer:

will I have to transfer anything over from old main board to new?!

Flatpanel Guru :

Yeah your backlight is good then and it does sound like a bad main board, to warn you Tristate is a rebuilder and i would say for me 1 in 10 boards i get from a rebuilder though cheaper sometimes dont work or have a new issue, tristate is easy to work with but fair waming is all.

Flatpanel Guru :

The board may need a few heat syncs moved but otherwise no simple enough

Customer:

ok

Customer:

good to know

Flatpanel Guru :

It will restart into factory mode so you will need to do a out of the box setup

Customer:

will wait and see what I get them!!

Customer:

worse case I can send back and order from another supplier

Flatpanel Guru :

best of luck they ussually ship fast with in a few days to a week you should have it unless you order fast shipping... and your right worst case return reorder

Customer:

ok on the factory mode

Customer:

ok thanks alot

Customer:

will keep you informed

Flatpanel Guru :

best of luck and good hunting.

Flatpanel Guru
Flatpanel Guru, Lead Technician HD
sorry the chat alert would not go away but if you need to chat just let me know.
Flatpanel Guru
Flatpanel Guru
Flatpanel Guru, Lead Technician HD