Hank Sullivan
Hank Sullivan, Technician
Experience:  23 yrs. experience in electronics repair- experience in both shop and field service
26076593

Samsung LED TV screen turns solid green color during viewing.

Samsung LED TV screen turns solid green color during viewing. It covers the picture. It goes away once you turn off the TV and turn it back on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Hank Sullivan replied 6 years ago.

Hank Sullivan :

Hello my name is Hank,

Welcome to Just Answer!
does this happen only when you are using cable/satellite or does this happen when you are watching a dvd also?

Customer:

Only happens when using cable. We have 2 Samsung LED's. At first, I thought it might be the cable but it occurs on any channel only w/ that TV. It doesn't do it every time you watch it. Sometimes the TV will be on for a while before the green screen appears

Hank Sullivan :

The green screen you are experiencing is related to a "miscommunication" between the cable box and the tv due to a "content protection" signal that is part of using an HDMI connection. . . . unfortunately,

Hank Sullivan :

this is all too common nowadays when connected with HDMI

Hank Sullivan :

the most reliable solution is to switch your connection type to component wires rather than HDMI when a problem of this type occurs often enough to interfere with your ability to enjoy the equipment

Hank Sullivan :

if you provide the exact model number then I can check to see if there is a software update for your model, however these updates rarely have any positive effect when there is a "content protection" error occurring (the green screen).

Hank Sullivan :

the green screen error is a result of the HDCP High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection security measures that can cause devices to fail to communicate, this only occurs when using the HDMI connections

Customer:

Thank you. I appreciate your help. At least there is nothing wrong with the TV. I am looking for the info to give you the exact model. So, it sounds like I need to contact TimeWarnerCable and tell them I don't want to pay for high definition

Hank Sullivan :

you can still get HD using the component wires. . .

Hank Sullivan :

and you won't have this kind of issue

Hank Sullivan :

what you don't want is the HDMI wire

Customer:

Buy new wires?

Customer:

What does HDMI stand for?

Hank Sullivan :

you can ask/make the cable company to give you the component wires instead

Hank Sullivan :

High Definition Multimedia Interface

Hank Sullivan :

I change customers over to component cables almost every day if they have this type of recurring problem

Hank Sullivan :

changing the box sometimes helps, but often does not

Customer:

Ok. We paid to have the TV wires hidden in the wall. So now we have to pay them again sounds like.

Hank Sullivan :

you can try to have the box replaced by cable company first

Customer:

The component cables just connect to the box, correct?

Hank Sullivan :

so you can avoid extra charges for in wall wiring

Hank Sullivan :

maybe, it depends on your hookup

Hank Sullivan :

if you have a receiver that controls everything then no,

Hank Sullivan :

if you do have a receiver and it is located physically near to the cable box, then you can just change the wires between the cable box and receiver to component and that can have a positive effect

Customer:

Didn't find the info. yet for TV. I think you gave me enough information though. Thanks so much!!!!! This issue has been driving us crazy.

Hank Sullivan :

Just a reminder, we do not get paid until you click the green ACCEPT button. If the information I have provided has been helpful then please consider my time as a valuable contribution to the resolution of your issue.

If I have helped you with your issue please click the green ACCEPT button.

Bonuses are greatly appreciated! If you can spare a moment, please leave Positive Feedback too!

Hank Sullivan :

have a great night!

Hank Sullivan :

if you have any further questions, just let me know