TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I cannot get picture but do get sound. Message at bottom is:

Customer Question
I cannot get picture but...
I cannot get picture but do get sound.
Message at bottom is: Display incompatible
Code: HDCP-019

I changed the HDMI and reset to factory settings.

Everything was fine unti la couple of hours ago when I hit the wrong button on the cable remote.

How can I fix this?

Thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
6/12/2011
TV Technician: Hank Sullivan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Hank Sullivan
Hank Sullivan, Technician

Hank Sullivan :

Hello my name is Hank,

Welcome to Just Answer!
Have you installed the latest software update version for this tv?

Hank Sullivan :

Here is the link for the 4.12 E3 version of software http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?upd_id=6527&mdl=KDL40S5100 this version does resolve issues with failure to recognize HDMI, it can happen all of a sudden, seemingly out of the blue. . . .
There are multitudes of issues with HDMI between cable boxes and many tv's. . .once you have the new software, if you still experience issues it's recommended that you simply use component connections for continued, reliable performance. . . some folks are highly resistant to switch over, but after the box and wires get changed and a customer still experiences HDMI issues it really does make the most sense. . .

Bonuses are greatly appreciated! If you can spare a moment, please leave Positive Feedback too!

JACUSTOMER-3xtn86wj- :

How would I get this from the internet to the TV? There must be another answer.

Hank Sullivan :

what do you mean "from the internet to the tv"?

Hank Sullivan :

do you mean how to get the files and install them on the tv?

JACUSTOMER-3xtn86wj- :

The software is at a http address that is on my computer and it is my TV that is not working. I don't have any link between the two.

Hank Sullivan :

the sony instructions are fairly well detailed. basically you download onto your computer - to a USB flash drive, then you take the USB drive and insert it into a service USB port on the BACK of the tv and the tv installs the software automatically. No, there is no other answer, I install this software update nearly daily for the known issue of non recognition of HDMI. . . .

Hank Sullivan :

if you've tried everything else (unplug HDMI, reset cable box, reset tv to default) then you have to put in the software. in fact, if your set has anything less than version 4.12 E3 then you need to update it. .

JACUSTOMER-3xtn86wj- :

My set has ER3.84-D827 software. If this is insufficient how do I make the change ?

Hank Sullivan :

that is the old version. . . 4.12 is higher

Hank Sullivan :

do you have a USB flash drive?

JACUSTOMER-3xtn86wj- :

I have't any idea how to make the change. How do I reset the cable box?

Hank Sullivan :

cable box reset is just to unplug AC and wait a minute then re insert AC power. it's good to try but with this series of tv, if none of the HDMI ports are being recognized then it's unlikely to resolve the issue

JACUSTOMER-3xtn86wj- :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX doesn't work I will call Sony on Monday and see what they say. It is still under warranty.

Hank Sullivan :

to upgrade the tv software, you will need a USB thumb drive (flash drive) put it in the computer USB port, then format it for FAT32, then you will click on the new software link and you will get a .zip file unzip the file on the USB drive then you can remove it from the computer.

Hank Sullivan :

JACUSTOMER-3xtn86wj- :

Thanks and good night.

Hank Sullivan :

let me know if you have any further questions!

Hank Sullivan
Hank Sullivan, Technician
The TV still doesn't work. I now cannot get picture or sound. When I turn the TV on I get the setup page with language choice. When I go through to"Auto Program" it does not find any channels.
When I try to reset to factory default I get the setup page instead of the page to select "Product Support". The only way to get to "Product Support" is to cancel "Auto Program" but this way doesn't work either. What can I do?
Ok, it's not going to work properly until the software issue is resolved. It's not surprising that you have no sound, if you try to select the HDMI input and you still cannot get it to lock into the cable box then as we said before you will need to put in the new software. Until this is done there will be improper or no operation. . . Also, since you are using a cable box, there is no need for auto scan of channels. .
Hank Sullivan
Hank Sullivan
Hank Sullivan, Technician