TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I just replaced the DG board in a Panasonic th-50pz700u due

to lightning damage on HDMI...
I just replaced the DG board in a Panasonic th-50pz700u due to lightning damage on HDMI port. The new board fixed all the dead inputs but a "CHK D1:D DG:1F" message shows on the plasma display. Also, the TV powers up fully when I plug it in instead of the proper "standby" mode. I suspect my new DG board (TNPA4129s) is defective. I've triple checked all the wiring harness connections. Question: is there a way to turn off this "Chk" message?
Thank you.
6/4/2011
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

Your board isn't defective, it's in factory test mode, and you have to disable it.

The problem is that there are several ways to disable it, and I have to figure out which way disables your TV factory mode.

Hmm, off the top of my head, I think you have to press the ACTION button on the TV set for 10 seconds until a Check - OK list pops up, then you press the power button on your TV set AFTER it pops up.

That's one way.

Worst case scenario -- I may have to contact Panasonic directly on Monday to get the correct shutdown procedure for you. Can you try that one I gave you, and get back with me if it doesn't work?

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

I have the Panasonic service manual for this tv and know how to get into the service mode. I don't believe this tv is in service mode. I took out the board in question and put into a Panasonic th-58pz700u (a bigger brother to the 50") and the problem moved to the 58" tv.
I suspect there is a problem with whatever chip audits communication between the HG board and the D board and is picking up a "perceived" error that is not there.
If you want to contact Panasonic on Monday, that will be great, or tell me how to contact someone there that would be knowlegeable on these 2007 plasmas. Both the 50" and the 58" have the same chassis GP10DHU.

I'm not familiar with the "action" button...what does it do? My tv or remote does not have a button with that name. Thank you for the help!

Oh, it is the DG module that has the micro on it, and it is the service mode.

One problem I've had is figuring out how to deactivate the service mode, because the exit command isn't written out too well in the service manual. They could have done a better job there.

But a phone call to panasonic always seems to correct the problem.

Panasonic will ask me the model number and the serial number, so if you can get me BOTH, I would appreciate that.

As for the ACTION button, it's most likely the OK button in the middle of the arrow keys.

Here's some other possible Service mode deactivation keys --

graphic

graphic

Try actually activating it first, then try deactivating it. I know the service deactivation mode has always been a pain to do, they just need better technical writers for that part.

Simply unplugging the TV or pressing the power button for 5 seconds has never fixed that. You have to HOLD DOWN a button on the remote, and the volume button, then it switches over to the module check page, with the OK listed. Then you can turn it off.

You may want to try the OK button on the remote and the power button on the TV for 5 to 10 seconds to see if the CHK message disappears and you get the module OK page....

Then you can hit the power button again.

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
TV Tech 1, I think you have solved this issue for me...I went in to the Self-check Mode by pressing Ok on remote while pressing the down-volume button. All catagories showed "OK", then I pressed the power button for 5 seconds. The tv no longer powers up when you plug in the power cord and the "CHK" message is no longer there.
I had noticed this page in the service manual before but I did not give it much significance because it said that "Note: this procedure does not reset the TV". If I had read further, it says that it does confirm communications between IC's...I got all OK's .
Thank you so much for your last suggestion...I'm very happy and my customer will be too.
Jon
I'm new to this site and I am confused about how the $28 deposit works. Do you get a percentage of the $28 or do I need to leave you a 100% tip for you to get all of the deposit money?

When you advance to the highest level like I am, JA and I split the $28 deposit 50/50.

Tips, I get 75/25 on that.

Now, I assume ONE of those worked?? Which one? Like I said, the Panasonic instructions on how to deactivate the service mode leaves a lot to be desired.

OH, I didn't see your first posting before the last one ! So holding down the OK button, THEN pressing the power button got it out of service mode.

SO FORGET THE REST OF THE POSTING BELOW, and THANK YOU for accepting !

So all I do know is that you press a sequence of buttons like Volume down on the front panel and the Action/Ok button or the Menu button on the remote for about 5 to 10 seconds, then the page with all the OK boxes pop up and then you know you have properly exited the service mode, and now you can either hit the power button or unplug it.

That's why I have to call Panasonic -- their instructions are horribly written in the service manual about how to exit the service mode.

And if you haven't got it deactivated yet.....get me a serial number so I can call them MONDAY, ok?

Let me know.

TV Tech1
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician