2lego
2lego, Technician
Experience:  Professional audiovisual and electrical engineer with prior experience as commercial and residential electrician.
52243799

I want to use external Bose 1-2-3 speaker system with my Samsung

Customer Question

I want to use external Bose 1-2-3 speaker system with my Samsung flat screen, but under the "Sound" settings under the "Menu", it will not let me access the "sound select" option (which -- if it weren't grayed out -- would allow me to switch from "main" speaker selection to another option. How do I get access to that "sound select" option?!?
Category: TV
Expert:  2lego replied 6 years ago.

2lego :

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer, my name is Troy. I have a couple of quick questions before we get started

Customer:

okay shoot

2lego :

I just wanted to confirm that this is a menu function that your getting from the Bose 321 unit? And, how is the Bose connected to your TV right now?

Customer:

The menu option I'm seeking to change is on the TV

2lego :

Great, what model Samsung TV are you using right now with the Bose system?

2lego :

And, are you using and HDMI cable between the TV and Bose too

Customer:

Under "sound" one of the options is "Sound Select" which is currently on "main" or tv speakers. That "Sound Select" option is faded, and when I cursor down it skips that option

Customer:

HDMI cable between Bose and Samsung

Customer:

HDMI Cable From Cable Box to TV, regular stereo cables from TV (both audio and video out) to Bose

2lego :

And the TV speakers are currently operating properly and producing audio?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

and the bose speakers work on FM, and for DVDs

2lego :

Do you have the model number of your Samsung TV handy?

Customer:

Where would I find that?

2lego :

So the TV isn't passing audio from the Cable Box to your Bose either, which you would like too?

2lego :

Normally the model number would be on the front page of the manual and the back of the TV near the inputs, if you can get to it.

2lego :

How old is the TV, some of the menu options are similar across the lines but they added things through the years.

Customer:

LNT375HAX/XAA

Customer:

Did you get that model #?

Customer:

That's right, the cable box is hooked to the sound.

Customer:

but no sound is passing from Cable box to Bose 1-2-3

2lego :

Okay, give me a minute to look up your specific model TV.

Customer:

thanks

2lego :

Thanks for being patient, the tech documents associated with your TV are 34MB...so its taking a few minutes to download.

Customer:

thanks

2lego :

Just so I understand correctly, are you trying to turn your TV speakers off, making sure that the Bose units does the audio and there is no overlap, or was there a different goal here. Normally in the Samsung's under the audio menu you can select EXTERNAL for the speakers, which will mute the internal speakers.

Customer:

I am unable to select external

Customer:

The "sound select" option appears, but it is faded gray (inactive option) as opposed to lighted (options I can choose and change)

2lego :

Okay, got the information I need. The SOUND SELECT menu is a function of the "Picture in Picture" mode. When you are using PIP the TV will give you the option to listen to the audio from the MAIN or SUB, which would be the smaller video window. SUB is the other selection that your not seeing.

Customer:

I moved it from the cable box out (as the Bose manual suggested) to tv audio out and got it working. Thanks.

2lego :

Also, to turn off the TV speakers you'll want to select YES for INTERNAL MUTE. This will turn the TV speakers off.

2lego :

That was my next recommendation. Use the optical audio out of the TV to route to the Bose, which will transmit the audio from the HDMI sources you are plugging into the TV.

Customer:

Need to make sure the bose takes optical cable, but I'll use it if it does to imporve the sound quality

Expert:  2lego replied 6 years ago.
Thank your for the accept too.

Troy