Steven, Technician
Experience:  Ma. Master Technician Lic. Authorized Warranty Support.
59014109

Sony projection TV wont turn on after standby time is up.

Sony projection TV won't turn on after standby time is up.
Category: TV
Expert:  Steven replied 6 years ago.

Steven :

Hi my name isXXXXX go to work and find a solution for your TV problem.

Steven :

What does it do, does the led on front flash a code?

Customer:

The red light will keep flashing with no screen,

Steven :

just keeps flashing steady red no pause?

Customer:

right, If I press power again it'll have sound for about 5 seconds but the screen won't power up and red flashing continues.

Steven :

Ok this is an old style CRT projection with High Voltage and 3 Pictures tubes, usually the led flashes a certain number of times then pauses then reflashes to give us clue as to what is going on, with out a fault cade it's going to be hard, are you going to try and trouble shoot your self? what type of information are looking for?

Customer:

I just noticed it will flash 5 times then pause. I'm trying to troubleshoot it myself see if there is some part I replace or something I need to restart.

Steven :

Ok the 5x is fault code for the a CRT that is failing, Not a very proctical repair to make ob this Tv but you might be able to make an adjustment and buy some time.

Steven :

Just let me double check the code

Customer:

Ok what's the adjustment.

Steven :

Stand by just a minute I am going to double check the but the adjustment are made from the front of the tv, you have to remove the front cover and then a thin cover that covers the CRT boards

Customer:

Remove front cover then what?

Steven :

Ok once you remove the front peice and the cover there is a small block attached to the frame with six terminals on it 3 in one row then 3 more right below them you are going to have to turn unit off and adjust each one, one at a time slight to counter clockwise then restart unit and see if comes on.

Steven :

you want to adjust the bottom row of

Steven :

terninals

Steven :

If you are unable to get it to come on and lite up, the there is possible a short on the one of the CRT boards, or the picture tube itself is shorted

Customer:

Are you talking about the bottom front or top?

Steven :

?

Steven :

bottom front below the screen, you have to remove that peice

Customer:

Ok

Steven :

once you get access to the inside, right side towards the top you will see the block with 6 screw terminals

Customer:

Do you mean right side bottom?

Steven :

right side top just below the screen a small block with 6 terminals that you can turn 3 in each row

Steven :

top 3 are focus bottom 3 are screen you want to to adjust the screens one at a time and keep retrying to see if it will come on. counter clockwise