TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

We have a Sharp LC-52SB55U LCD Flat Screen TV that is almost

Customer Question
2 years old. Today...
We have a Sharp LC-52SB55U LCD Flat Screen TV that is almost 2 years old. Today while I was watching it, the screen went black and the sound went off, but the green power light at the bottom right of the TV was blinking. I could not turn the TV off with the remote or by using the power button on the TV. I unplugged the TV from the socket and plugged it back in after several minutes (also to a different socket in case that was the problem), but the power button continued to blink. Nothing I've tried has worked and I can't find any information on what else to try to get it to work. We do have FiOS, but the DVR seems to be working fine. I tried that on another TV and it was ok. All of the connections to the components are tight. I finally unplugged the TV since that was the only way to make the power light stop blinking. I've never seen this before. It's as if it's frozen in an alternate state. Help!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
4/7/2011
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 6 years ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Hello
Welcome
Thanks for using JustAnswer

If you could just answer the below info requests please this will help me a lot thanks!

Is the power light blinking once every second please?

How old is the set please?

Anthony
The set is almost 2 years old. I unplugged it hours ago and didn't count seconds before unplugging it. But, it continually blinked - every second is about right. What I found so strange is that the only way I could turn the power off - or at least the blinking light - was to unplug the set. No remote worked and neither did the power button on the set itself. Before this happened, the TV was working fine. There was no indication that there was a problem.
Hello

Their are a few reasons why this can happen some are serious but I think in your case you have bad firmware because of the lock-up ie not being able to switch off from remote or the set
This would mean replacing the mainboard (firmware pre-loaded)you can see the other serious issues there to do with the backlight and sharp do suffer from backlight issues difficult to resolve and often not economic to carry out, also the invertor and worse the LCD panel are in the equation
Its your call on the mainboard but from what your saying it certainly sounds like bad or collapsed firmware

Firmware is the data that controls the sets computer the mainboard

Let me know which way you want to go with this or if you need more info please

Anthony graphic
I remember reading something about a firmware "update" in 2009 in the information that I found online yesterday when I was trying to solve the problem myself. Is it possible that this update could have been a solution? We bought the TV at Circut City right before it went out of business. So, had there been an across-the-board issue that could have fixed the issue after we bought it, most likely, we would have not been notified. Can you tell me if it's worth getting the TV repaired? It sounds like it's going to be expensive.
Hello

Unfortunately with sharp once the firmware goes bad it cant be reloaded with upgraded firmware this was a real error in my opinion as sharps do have a lot of firmware issues the only way it can be upgraded now is on a jig so what normally happens is the mainboard is replaced with the firmware pre-loaded for ease

If you would have upgraded your set at the time you may now not have this situation I hate to tell you that because it prob makes you feel worse!

If the board can be obtained from a board pulling site it may not be as expensive but dont forget you do have outside chances of this being the backlight/invertor or worse the lcd panel

Maybe the best course of action is an assesment by a trained technician usually about $50-$100 depends where you are and pref a sharp approved one

Let me know which way you want to go with this please

Anthony
I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I should just call it a day with this TV and get another one. We have a Sony TV that we've had for years that has a crisp, perfect picture and has never had any problems. Maybe we should just wait until we can get another Sony to replace this one. It sounds like even if we fix this problem, we could have others in the future - none of which sound simple or inexpensive to repair. And, like you said, if we replace one thing, we might find out it is something else. I understand taking it to a Sharp Technician could diagnose the exact problem, but it sounds like all of the solutions are expensive. I'm on the fence with this. Would you recommend taking it to someone? There must be a service center somewhere in our area. Or, would you cut your losses and dispose of the TV?

Well firstly their is hardly ever a simple fix to tv issues, the problem is in the diagnostic software for the blink code is so diverse from the firmware to the panel itself is not good fault diagnostics!, it doesnt however mean the set is a lemon we see plenty of sony setsof all formats on here broke down so its across the board with all this technology thats controlled by a computer and we know how often computers break down,

You need to make an initial enquiry at sharp www.sharpusa.com use the "find a service center" guide sometimes manuf even re-dress the issue if you can prove its under 3 years old particularly if the lcd panel is at fault which may be in your case....

Anthony
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Very good advice. Thank you for your help.

Pleasure

The thread will still be open if you need anything else

Anthony
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician