TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

where is the ballast located on the sony KDS60A2000

3/20/2011
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

Follow these disassembly instructions --

TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

You jumped the gun there....

graphic

graphic

There you go -- everything you need to find and remove the ballast.

If you have any questions, just ask

If you are finished, please press the ACCEPT button.

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

I think you "double-accepted" so I sent this to customer refunds, to correct this. You should only be paying $22, not $44.

They should get it taken care of in 2-3 days.

DID YOU GET MY 2ND QUESTION ABOUT HOW TO CHECK THE BALLAST IF ITS GOOD OR BAD.

No I didn't -- simple test.

Plug in TV, Remove lamp, Make sure lamp door is installed or it won't fire.

Fire up the TV set, look at the ballast -- there's a Neon bulb on it that lights and makes a bzzzzzzzt sound if the ballast is working.

If it doesn't do that, then take a DC Voltage reading off of the large two-wire plug on the ballast -- it should be over 300 Volts. 330Volts max on it.

If the TV shuts down before the unit bzzzzzzts....then read the blinks between pauses on the front led -- if it blinks four times it's the fans, if it blinks 3 times it's the door switch, if it does 6 times it's the thermostat.

That's off the top of my head....codes may be different on this model.

Lemme know, ok?

I CHECKED THE POWER AND IT READ 388 ON THE DC VOLTAGE. WHAT HAPPENS IS, THE LAMP STARTS TO POWER UP FOR JUST A COUPLE OF SECONDS AND THEN SHUTS DOWN. THE BLINKING RED LIGHT IS CONSTANT. THE LAMP IS A REPLCEMENT ABOUT A WEEK AGO.

There's no way a 120 Volt AC would read 388 Volts The maximum peak Voltage is 170 Vp so that would be 340 Volts DC in a voltage doubler like the Sony power supply is supposed to be.

Just how dirt cheap did you go with your new lamp? $200 cheap or $75 cheap?

I prefer all Lamps be from the original manufacturer, because they are about the only ones' that actually work 3 years without causing the customer to think their ballast is bad, or something else....

Most TV lamps are $200 for Sony originals

Here's your lamp --

https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/viewItemDetail.do?operation=getItemDetail&itemID=620570&category=15&categoryName=Television

Now, does your lamp ARC then immediately go out without MAINTAINING an arc?

That's a Lamp with no gas in it at all.

Some will maintain an arc for 20, maybe 30 seconds then go out.

Others will get past the 2 minute stage, and go out two, three times a day.

The point is that lamp must maintain an arc and a good lamp will STRIKE , then RUN, and stay running until you turn it off.

And to be honest -- I have RARELY had to replace a ballast let alone a voltage doubler in a SONY.

In fact, I've NEVER had to do that to your model, let alone all the Sony models out there.

Samsung Yes -- Sony NO.

YOU KNOW TECH 1, I PAID 120.99 FOR A PHILIPS F-9308-860-0 THINKING IT WAS GOOD QUALITY. I THOUGH IT WAS A REPLACEMENT BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T MAKE TH XL5200 ANYMORE. I'M NOT ABOUT CHEAT, I'M JUST A LITTLE IGNORANT. HAD I KNEW ABOUT YOUR SITE FIRST I WOULD HAVE TAKEN YOUR ADVICE.

WHEN I PLUG THE TV IN, THE FAN GOES INTO HIGH SPEED AND THE BULB ARCS
FOR ABOUT 10 SECONDS AND THE GOES OUT AND THE FAN REDUCES SPEED.
THE BULB DID WORK FOR ABOUT A WEEK THATS WHY I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE THE BALLAST.

WHAT I'M HEARING YOU SAY IS THAT I STILL HAVE A LAMP PROBLEM AND BUY THE ACTUAL XL-5200 FOR 200.00 FROM ONE OF YOUR RECOMENDED WEB SITES.
THANKS MONTY

Your description points directly to a lamp that has lost gas pressure -- they will arc, but they can't HOLD an arc.

You should contact the store you purchased it at, tell them how the lamp fires, and get another one for warranty.

But when you buy another lamp -- get it from Sonystyle.com, OK?

Or buy a backup lamp now, but run that $120.99 lamp in your TV, because it needs to be run so if it fails again and again, you get replacements during the warranty period they gave you.

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
TV Tech1
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician