TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

we have a big RCA TV and it wont stay on.

Customer Question
the light comes on then...
we have a big RCA TV and it wont stay on. the light comes on then it keeps shutting off. cant get it to come on PLEASE HELP! I cant get the tv to come up the light comes on but shuts off by its self
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
3/15/2011
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 6 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Does the light on the front blink a code? (example 6 blinks pause 6 blinks pause repeat)
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
it does blink yes we bought it from rent a center I believe the TV is from 04
Can you determine the pattern it is blinking? (5 blinks pause 5 blinks pause repeat)

Tim
ok I just checked it came on and shut off 3 times
Well unfortunately it is impossible to know exactly what is wrong because this model has more shutdown circuits in it than any other I have ever seen. See all the circuits are monitored in this television and when one malfunctions it shuts down and gives us this symptom. I will give the most common causes and prices, hopefully that will assist you and if you need anything further after that please let me know and I will be happy to help.

The most common cause for this tv to shut down is the high voltage circuit, sometimes there are a few components that need to be replaced to get the set running again. If this circuit is the cause then you could be looking at somewhere between $300-$400 on average to have the set running again.

If the horizontal circuit is not the issue then most likely it is being caused by either the high voltage trippler or one of the picture tubes. If the trippler is the cause then you would be looking again at $300-$400 and if one of the picture tubes was the cause then you would be looking at around $600 (tubes are expensive and very hard to install.)

Lastly you could have a problem with the signal board, however this is rare. On your model the signal board could also run around $600. (also most of the time when a signal board fails it goes intermittently, some days the tv will work and then other days it will not)

I am sorry that I do not have any good new or quick fixes for your set. You definitely have a internal failure in your set. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
where do you reccomend I get this part or have sombody come down to the house to fix it? can you reccomend something? PLEASE preply
I would definitely recommend having a professional fix this if you want to fix the tv. I recommend www.tvrepairpros.com to find a shop near you.

Tim
ok thanks. unfortunatly its a bit of a hike to the nearest one. but will look into it for sure. The thing is would they come down to the house to fix it? I am in ORANGE MA they are in Springfield MA about 37-40 miles
Yes 90% of shops these days will do house calls rather than making you take it in.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
ok. cool lol would be a bit difficult bringing in a 61 inch TV! I will accept answer thanks.
LOL yeah, would never recommend you take it in, always make them come to you.

Tim
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician