Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

my vizio tv turns on then shuts off right away

Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Would you feel comfortable removing your TV's rear panel to affect repair? If so, what kind of test equipment and training do you have? Or would you rather discuss the possible issues and repair estimates?

Kindest regards,
Dan T.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i can try to remove the panel and do repair, i have no training or equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Without a voltmeter, removing the back panel wouldn't be of any use. There are a couple possible issues here, would you like to talk about repair estimates?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Ok, thanks. There are a couple possibilities here. I'll do my best to give some insight into each.

First, it could be your power board. This board takes the line input... chops/rectifies/filters it, and sends out a series of insulated DC voltages (3VDC, 5VDC, etc.). A fault here could very easily explain your symptoms because it's the base for everything else. Repair here will vary depending on where you live, and on part availability, but usually runs $250-$450.

Next, it could be the main board. This is your TV's main processor, so to speak. It controls the logic functions, and most I/O capabilities. So again, this could be your issue. Repair here will be more than the power PWB, usually by $100-$200.

Finally, it could be the LCD panel itself (the screen), though this would be much more rare. This would be far too expensive to replace.

I wish I had a more definite answer on this one... but there really are a couple possibilities.

You'll need to hire a technician at this point. You'd be looking at $50-$75 for a diagnosis, but that'd be put toward the final bill should you decide to have it repaired.

If you want, you can post back here with the tech's diagnosis. I'd be happy to let you know what I think.

Please click ACCEPT (even if you're a trial or subscription member) if you are 100% satisfied with my answer and plan on leaving me positive feedback (your acceptance is the only way I get paid for my work). A bonus would also be appreciated!

I'm sorry if my answer wasn't what you wanted to hear, but it reflects the most honest and accurate information available. I hope you take that into account when deciding whether or not to accept and leave positive feedback.