TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Samsung plasma television wont turn on. The red standby

My Samsung plasma television won't...
My Samsung plasma television won't turn on. The red standby light does come on, and the power source is working. This may be a result of a power outage that happened while I was away from home today... Any ideas on how to get the TV to turn back on. I've unplugged it for a half-hour and left it alone, no dice.
2/14/2011
TVGURU
TVGURU, Technician
Hi there and thank you for using JA. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to assist. What is the complete model number of your unit? Is it plugged into a true surge suppressor? Is the power light blinking on the front of the TV or is it lit steadily? If it is blinking, how many blinks until it pauses and restarts the sequence? Thank you. Michael
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the quick reply.
The light is blinking steadily, and it was plugged into a surge suppressor when the outage occurred. Still is.
The model number is: Samsung PN42C450 42-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV
If you smell near the back of the TV, do you smell anything like burnt electronics? Is it warm to the touch, anything else you can tell me? Thank you. Michael.
Also, what happens when you press the power button on the TV? Does it try to turn on? Any clicking, buzzing, anything? Does the standby light blink?
No odd smells or temperatures are noticable, or were noticable when we came home (gone about 2 hours). Neither the remote control or the physical power button has any effect on the light. It's steadily on, despite pushing the power buttons.
I would recommend a few things to try before you call it into a repair center.

1. Unplug it from the power strip and plug it directly into the wall.
  2. Try a completely different known working electrical outlet
  3. Although you had it unplugged for 30 minutes, leave it unplugged from the wall over night. It can take several hours for a TV to discharge its capacitors and it completely resets.
  4. Contact Samsung (1.800.726.7864) and set up a service ticket, you most likely have an issue with your power board. Very common for plasma TVs, not just Samsung. The reality is two or three companies make all the TVs so they suffer from similar issues. Bad power boards with weak or under sized capacitors is one of them. This causes all kinds of random power issues with plasmas.
Sorry for the unfortunate news.

If you have any further questions related to this topic please let me know. You can always ask a question even after clicking accept as long as its related to this topic. Please click the green accept button below at this time. Please also consider leaving positive feedback. Bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thank you. Michael, CT-USA
TVGURU
TVGURU, Technician
TVGURU
TVGURU
TVGURU, Technician