TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

42 Samsung TV takes a long time to turn on, for several minutes

Customer Question
42" Samsung TV takes a...
42" Samsung TV takes a long time to turn on, for several minutes or more, there is a very audible clicking every 10 seconds or so, until it finally goes on. Any ideas on how to fix?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
2/14/2011
TV Technician: TV Tech1, Technician replied 6 years ago
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

Are you comfortable with soldering?

If so, you can very easily fix it yourself, even if you aren't super experienced with soldering anything.

This is simple soldering.

But I do need your model number located on this tag --

graphic

That tag is attached on the right side or edge of the cabinet. It's there so people can read the model if it's attached to a wall. So look for that tag on the right side.

I'm far from handy, but might be able to get some assistance from a neighbor if necessary.

Model: LNT4042HX/XA

Serial #: AH8M3CPP800484F

Version: SH06

Good idea, get the neighbor.

Here are your disassembly pictures and where to find those caps --

graphic

graphic

Here is the board to look at for those --

graphic

Now I listed the values and reference locations of those capacitors to check above.

1000uf is a value of Storage capability like a battery can store 750 amp hours of charge or 1000 amp hours of charge -- the 1000uf is more storage and we say 1000 microfarads. The next part is the maximum voltage allowed, so the 25 V is larger than 10V and works at a higher voltage before blowing/popping.

Those capacitors should be found in the green box areas of the board. and the CM811 is marked on the board right by the capacitor. They all have their reference numbers right on the board by it.

Ok, so the most important thing is to look at the TOP of the capacitors.

This is a picture of a NORMAL capacitor --

graphic

Notice in the picture the tops of those cans are Flat? That's normal.

Now here is a bulged set of Capacitors --

graphic

Notice they are NOT flat, but crowned or bulged? Those are bad caps.

Now, you can usually go to Radio Shack and buy one 1000 microfarad 25 Volt Radial capacitor and four 1000 microfard 10 Volt Radial capacitors and replace all of them.

You can get a soldering iron, some solder, and a small spool of solder wick there too.

Solder wick is used to suck up the solder, you lay the wick over the solder, and the put the soldering iron on top of the wick and it melts and absorbs the solder.

Usually I heat the legs on the old capacitors and rock the pins out of thier holes, going back and forth between the two pins until the old one falls out.

The I use the solder wick on the left over solder and absorb it all.

Now, if you have problems finding someone capable of removing and replacing the capacitors, you can simply buy the power supply board and not worry anymore, because all you need to replace that, is a Philips screwdriver to remove the screws from the board.

Here is the power supply part number -- BN44-00167A

And you can get those online --

http://www.samsungparts.com/Products/Parts_and_Accessories/PID-BN44-00167A.aspx?srccode=&cpncode=

Better prices here from a good supplier too --

http://www.encompassparts.com/products/?BN44-00167A

Ooh, even better price, and real real close to the cost of the caps and the other tools needed from Radio Shack !

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn44-00167a-power-supply.htm

I think I'd just buy the board from them and not worry about finding a neighbor to do it.

But that's your call, not mine.

If you have any questions, just ask

If you are finished, please press the ACCEPT button.

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

Edited by TV Tech1 on 2/14/2011 at 2:28 AM EST
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
TV Tech1
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician