TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I started having trouble with my Samsung HLR6168WX/XAA DLP

Customer Question
television last night. This...
I started having trouble with my Samsung HLR6168WX/XAA DLP television last night. This TV is probably 4.5 years old and I have not had any problems or required any repairs since owning it. On the manufacturer's sticker on the right lower side (when facing the TV), the version number is XXXXX

I left the room with the TV on and everything was operating as normal. I came back about 1.5 hours later and it was making a really noisy hum like an off-balanced fan. In addition, the picture was a lot dimmer, picture was grainy, and the color was off. I've looked around online at a lot of Q/A forums and I believe it might be the color wheel. I wanted a professional opinion before ordering a part. Since I wasn't present when the noise started, I'm a little concerned that it could have been a cooling fan that went bad and caused critical parts to be damaged.

Also important to note is that the noise starts immediately after turning the power to the TV on even though there is a few second delay before the bad picture comes on the screen. Additionally, the noise continues for a few seconds after the power is turned off and you can hear it wind down. I shot a video with my camera phone and uploaded it to YouTube for you to review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZQ2JqE0ptE

If you are pretty sure this is a color wheel that has gone bad, please tell me if my TV requires the L3 or L6 chasis color wheel and provide the part number for the replacement part. Would you suggest that I also replace the lamp while I have the TV cabinet open since my TV still has the original lamp?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: TV
1/3/2011
TV Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 7 years ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Allow me to confirm your suspicion... your color wheel is bad. This is absolutely certain... "the noise starts immediately after turning the power to the TV" is a tell-tale sign here. You see, as soon as your TV is turned on the DMD board sends a signal for the color wheel to spin up. This is the first thing to happen inside your TV after you push the power button.

The part number is XXXXX You can get it at encompassparts.com for $85.

I would've replaced the lamp a couple years ago, honestly... whether it was acting up or not. If you let the lamp go until it pops, you might damage other parts... it's sort of a shock to the system. Stick with every 24 months... I know it's expensive, but so was your TV.

Let me know if you need anything else. Though if this information was helpful, please click "Accept"... it's the only way I get paid for my work. You can still post follow-up questions afterward.

Kindest regards,
Dan T.

As it tuns out, one of the color wedges in my existing color wheel was completely missing and it took me a while to clean out the glass fragments from the TV case. The new one I ordered from Encompass had a slight chip in it and I had to exchange it for a new one (they are 45 minutes from my home). I swapped out the 2nd new one, put the TV back together, and my TV was buzzing immediately after powering it up.

I figured the color wheel might not be aligned properly or I might not have lined up the rubber gaskets properly. I went throught the color wheel replacement process all over again and made sure the color wheel was installed securely (using the same color wheel). The second time it started up without any issues with a great picture (I replaced the lamp as well). I plugged the TV back in while moving it back into the cabinet and it worked ok. While I was sliding it back into place, the buzzing started again.

I turned the TV off and waited 20 minutes. It started up without issue but started buzzing again after 3 or 4 minutes. It definitely sounds like the color wheel again since it is immediate when starting the TV up and persists for a few seconds as it winds down when powering off. If on for 15-20 minutes, the picture has a faint flicker.

Is this an issue with my install or do you think I might have gotten a bad color wheel?

Thanks again!

It sounds like there's a piece of glass from the shattered wheel stuck somewhere... I've seen that happen more than once. Slight chance the new wheel is bad.