TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a RCA 14f514t. The remote does not work. How do I play

Customer Question
a dvd? I don't have...
I have a RCA 14f514t. The remote does not work. How do I play a dvd? I don't have cable or an antenna, so no channels pick up. When I press the channel buttone, it does nothing. I don't see anything on the menu to help.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
12/23/2010
TV Technician: 25 Year Electronic Tech, Technician replied 6 years ago
25 Year Electronic Tech

25 Year Electronic T :

Hello, This is according to the manual. your tv should have a TV / Video button on the tv, press this button to access the a/v input. The manual does not state whether this button will access all inputs, but try it to see if does. let me know how it goes. Thank you

JACUSTOMER-bujuag0j- :

Hello. The tv does not have a tv/video button. The only buttons located on the front of the set are "Power", "Menu", "Volume +/-", and "Channel +/-". When I press channel +/-, nothing happens becasue there are no other channels that the set can pick up (I have no antenna or cable, just want to watch dvds). When I press the "Menu" button, it does not give me any options regarding tv/video or aux.

25 Year Electronic T :

Your might try navigating to the setup menu then select list and labels and then channels, you then might be able to select the video input and then check the in list box. let me know.

JACUSTOMER-bujuag0j- :

No luck. On the "list & labels" menu, there is only one channel, 42-1. I cannot change it. I tried checking the "in list" box for that one, but it wouldn't check.

JACUSTOMER-bujuag0j- :

I don't think the remote is the problem. I also tried a universal remote, but it doesn't work, either. Any way to check the sensor on the tv?

25 Year Electronic T :

Sorry I have your trouble mixed up with another person who said they didn'

25 Year Electronic T :

t have the remote.

25 Year Electronic T :

If you have not done so already unplug the tv from the main wall power and let sit for a few minutes, then try again.

25 Year Electronic T :

Some times the microprocessor will lock the remote control funcitions off, this will reset the micro.

25 Year Electronic T :

If you have a digital camera or camera cell phone you can check to see if the remote control is transmitting, You can look through the camera's view finder and start pressing buttons and watch the view finder, if the remote is transmitting, you will see it flashing.

25 Year Electronic T :

It is possible that the remote receiver is bad, but they are not very common to go bad.

JACUSTOMER-bujuag0j- :

OK, tested both remotes, and they both are flashing when I press buttons. Is there anything else I can do?

JACUSTOMER-bujuag0j- :

Oh, meant to say that I tried unpluggng it an letting it sit a while, then tried again. Still no luck. Any ideas?

25 Year Electronic T :

Did the remote control just suddenly stop working? are one of the remotes the original that came with the tv/

JACUSTOMER-bujuag0j- :

One of the remotes is the original. It's a 2008 and our elderly neighbor gave it to us. She said it worked.

25 Year Electronic T :

make sure you press the tv button at the top of the remote control, then try the power button.

25 Year Electronic T :

Sorry wrong remote never mind

25 Year Electronic T :

Has the remote control ever worked for you?

JACUSTOMER-bujuag0j- :

no, just got the tv from the neighbor last week. She said it worked.

25 Year Electronic T :

Do you have the instruction manual? if you do hace the manual, compare the remote to the one in the manual and see if it is the same. if you don

25 Year Electronic T :

dont have the manual you can download it from the link below, on the page that opens just above the red download now box enter the 5 digit number into the box and then click the download now box, then click on the open box, it may take a litte while to download. let me know ???

25 Year Electronic T :

??

JACUSTOMER-bujuag0j- :

There is nothing in the manual that addresses my problem. There is a phone num ber to replace the remote, but I don't think the remote is the problem. Is there anything I can do to check the sensor?

JACUSTOMER-bujuag0j- :

The remote is the same.

25 Year Electronic T :

I just wanted to verify you had the correct remote control. At this point I would have to guess either the remote receiver is bad or something in the logic control circuit. Unfortunately there is no way to check the receiver without test equipment and a service manual. I would have to suggest to take it to an authorozed service center for an estimate of repair. One last thing, there should be a small dark window probably about 1/2 inch x 1 inch on the front of the tv cabinet, this should be the receiver window, put the remote cotrol right up to this window and try. If you cant find the window try the remote control at all locations on the front ot the tv.

25 Year Electronic Tech
25 Year Electronic Tech
25 Year Electronic Tech, Technician