TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My LG 32LG10 has no picture or sound but the TV does have

Customer Question
power. The indicator also reflects...
my LG 32LG10 has no picture or sound but the TV does have power. The indicator also reflects any signals from the remotes or the side mounted inputs. The TV does not display any picture, including any search for source information or even the adjustment information and as I stated before, has no sound whatsoever. Also when switch off and switch on the TV the display comes for half a sec and goes off.
Let me know how to fix this issue.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: TV
12/4/2010
TV Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 7 years ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Let's try a couple things so we can narrow this down. Turn the lights off, and turn the TV on. Though the screen is black, can you see a faint glow coming from it, like the backlight is working? If you can detect the backlight, stop here and let me know. If you can't detect the backlight... with the TV still on, try holding a flashlight 1-2 inches from the screen. Can you see faint images or colors? Try bringing up the TV menu, so you’ll know what to look for.

Regards,
hello Dan,

no i can't see any light
nothing with the flashlight?
when i start the TV it flashes for a half sec and goes of. I can flash light in the starting

Ok, thanks. There are a couple possibilities here. I'll do my best to give some insight into each.

First, it could be your power supply (PSU). This circuit takes the line input... chops/rectifies/filters it, and sends it to the different circuits (3V, 5V, 24V, etc.). A fault here could very easily explain your symptoms... as this is the base for everything else. Repair here will vary depending on where you live, and on part availability, but usually runs $250-$450.

Next, it could be the main board. This is your TV's main processor, so to speak. It controls the logic functions, and all I/O capabilities. So again, this could be your issue. Repair cost will be slightly more than the PSU, usually $100-$200 more.

Finally, it could be the LCD panel itself (the screen). You're well aware of what part this is. Though, this would be far too expensive to replace... as it's the most expensive in your TV, by far.

I wish I had a more definite answer on this one... but there really are a couple possibilities. You'll need a tech to determine for sure.

If this information was helpful, please click "Accept"... it's the only way I get paid for my work. You can still post follow-up questions afterward.

Hello Dan,

how to identify the problem is with PSU or main processor. I searched on google and people told me that problem may be with inverter. i got a part from someone and tried but no luck
I don't think it's the inverter. That's what the flashlight test was for. If you were able to see an image, chances are the inverter is bad. No image with the flashlight... inverter is probably OK.

You should only poke/prod/test inside your TV if you have experience... as your TV harbors lethal voltages (kilovolts), even when it's unplugged. That said, the PSU will be the first PCB you encounter while tracing the input power cord. You'll need to look/smell/test for burnt or open (missing) components... or bulging/swollen capacitors like these. They might also be leaking. If you have a multimeter or oscilloscope, you can test the output voltages, too... they should be labeled (use the panel or chassis for ground). Else, consider replacing the whole PSU... it will cost more than a component or two, but will save you time and frustration.

That's the first step here... eliminating the PSU.

-Dan
can i ask more questions after pressing the accept answer button?
Certainly! As long as they apply to this issue =)
ok tell me one more thing. how to see whether problem is not there with main processor.

i have little knowledge on electronics boards. i would like to identify where is the problem.
There usually aren't many things to check on the main board, except waveforms... and you'd need an oscilloscope for that. Usually there is a heatsink or two... you could remove the back panel and turn the TV on for awhile, then touch the heatsinks. If they're stone cold, something is probably wrong with the board.

Else, again... start with the PSU. If the PSU doesn't fix things, go for the main board.

-Dan
ok thanks. I will be questions about the same issues.
No worries. Let me know.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have further questions. Doing so will only generate a request for me to reply.
Hi Dan,

thank you so much for all your help on identifying problem.

Thanks,
Jagan
No problem, Jagan. Let me know if you need anything else.