TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a new Insignia 46 LED/LCD TV. Am attempting to set-up

Customer Question
I have a new Insignia...
I have a new Insignia 46" LED/LCD TV. Am attempting to set-up TV. Service is by Dish Network satellite. DVR serves 2 TV's as a satellite box. This new TV wil be the one connected wirelessly via channel 73. (Analog TV is working this way now.) Cannot get the new TV to tune to channel 73. What to do ??
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
11/30/2010
TV Technician: Steve G., Technician replied 6 years ago
Steve G., Technician

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about your TV. I will try my best to give you a precise and accurate answer.

What do you mean by connecting 'wirelessly' to your DVR?

The DVR is also a Satellite box that serves 2 TV's. This DVR is located in the den and serves my 32" analog TV there. The DVR has an antenna that transmitts/receives the signal to another analog TV located in my family room. In this manner it can serve 2 TV's as a satellite box, each one with seperate access.

The new flat screen is replacing the family room TV and, therefore needs to access the satellite "box" via the wireless transmission feature.

To do this it must receive the signal via channel 73, as my analog tv is doing at present.

I cannot tune the new TV to channel 73, in fact I cannot tune it to any channel without a connection to the satellite. Vicious circle !

What is the make and model of your DVR/Sat box?

Dish Network 625.

Been working fine for 10+ years with the analog TV.

Wow, that is a new on me.

I'm going to opt out and get you another expert.

Hold on.

TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 6 years ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi papadon

I`m going to try and see if we can get your tv working.

I will have a few questions first thought.

Did you make sure you have your receiving antenna connected at the back of the tv ?

If so then go in your tv`s menu and select "channels" then select "auto channel search" (as you probably have done before)

Once in that menu make sure that under "choose your tv source" that "antenna" is selected before you do the "analog" search.

If the channel 73 is in range then your tv should put it in memory as available.

Otherwise try to enter the number/channel 73 manually.

Let me know how it goes.

I have done those things. First of all, I do not have an antenna connected when accessing Dish Network Satellite. Second, the Auto Channel scan does not produce anything because the TV has no "Source" input until it can detect the satellite "Box" provided by the wireless connection to the DVR/Box.

I need to be able to enter the channel 73 into the TV's table as I did with the analog TV.

The TV is not seeing any source input without being able to detect the channel 73 set-up.

O.k lets look at the other tv that works.

Is it set on UHF channel 73 ?

How does it communicate/receive wireless the signal from the sat receiver ?

Do you have a coaxial cable that goes to the second tv?

Is your dvr set to dual mode or single ?

And which channel is the second tv supposed to be set ?

Even without anything connected to the tv you should be able to go in your menu and set it to receive antenna type of signal, that is where you will find channel UHF 73

Edited by Jack on 11/30/2010 at 10:50 PM EST

The old TV is set to channel 73.

It does have a coaxial cable connected to the antenna/cable input.

This cable is connected to a splitter which connects to the satellite dish and to the coaxial cable running upstairs to TV #3.

The DVR is on dual mode.

Second TV is supposed to be set to channel 73, I assume, that is the way it has been forever.

I have tried accessing the menu, setting the input to antenna, and doing a channel scan. Nothing is found, no channels what so ever.

O.k then if you are using the sat receiver in dual mode.

I will assume that you have a coaxial cable connected to the tv 2 output at the back of the sat receiver that goes to the tv set.

Then the tv will have to be set either on a channel 21 to 69 for UHF/antenna or channel 73 to 125 for cable.

So you can choose either but if your sat receiver is set for a channel between 73 and 125 then it means you will have to go back in your tv`s menu to set to "cable" instead of "antenna"

But first before you do that you should go in your sat receiver`s menu to verify which channel the tv 2 output is set to.

Here is the procedure to verify and/change the channel if you wish, this is from the manual as it will explain it better that i can but let me know if you need clarification.

Here is the procedure;

1. Press MENU-6-1-5 to open the Modulator Setup screen.

2. For TV 1 Out, highlight the number under TV 1 Out. For TV 2 Out, skip to

step 4.

3. Use the UP and DOWN ARROW buttons to change the modulator channel

either 3 or 4. Continue to the next step to set TV 2 Out or skip to step 7 if

you are finished making changes.

4. For TV 2 Out, select either Air (for off-air channel numbers) or Cable (for

cable channel numbers).

5. Highlight the number under TV 2 Out.

6. Use the UP and DOWN ARROW buttons to change the modulator channel

to one of the following:

• Air Mode - Select a channel between 21 and 69.
  • Cable Mode - Select a channel between 73 and 125.

7. Select Done to save the changes.

8. Change the channel on your TV(s) to match the channel(s) you selected.

So as i`ve said you will need to set your tv back to cable if you selected cable in the receivers menu, then note which channel it is set to and try to enter that number directly in the tv with the tv`s remote.

Edited by Jack on 11/30/2010 at 11:41 PM EST

OK one more time in detail.

TV 1 (Den) is connected to the DVR via coaxial cable.

TV 2 (Family Room) is not connected to the DVR in any way.

The DVR (Den) is connected to the satellite dish via coaxial cable.

TV 2 is connected to the satellite dish and a splitter that is connected to the dish box upstairs with TV 3.

The DVR has an antenna which allows it to communicate with TV 2 via channel 73.

TV 2 must be able to receive channel 73, just as TV 1 must receive channel 3 and TV 3 must receive channel 4. Those are the channels assigned to receive the Dish signal from the DVR/Satellite box and the non-Dvr satellite box.l

Hi again

TV 3 and its splitter is new in the equation here.

The antenna at the back of the DVR is there to receive the signal(UHF) from the second remote control only, it doesn`t communicate with any tv on channel 73 .

The only way to get a signal from your receivers is to be physically connected with a coaxial cable.

So to start again, can you tell me if you do have a coaxial cable connected at the back of TV2 and where does it go ?

To a splitter shared with TV3 ?

Edited by Jack on 12/1/2010 at 5:25 PM EST

You are correct, the anrenna is for the remote.

TV 2 does still, however, receive on channel 73. I know this because that TV has been tuned to channel 73 for 10 years.

Yes the coax is connected to a splitter which goes to TV 3 and to the satellite dish.

All of those things being as they are, TV 2 still has to tune to channel 73.

We are just not getting ant where with this, let's just drop it. OK ?

No problem

But in any case if all you need is to set your tv on channel 73 then go into your tv`s menu and set it to cable system(analog) and punch in the numbers.

Good luck and good bye.

I don't know how many times I need to keep telling you that I cannot tune the TV to channel 73 ! I can't tune the TV to any channel without a source.

I have never encountered anyone so damned hardheaded in my life.

Your right - Goodby.

Louie, Technician