Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

my sanyo tv has a thin line running through the center with

my sanyo tv has a thin line running through the center with audio but no picture. What can I do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, post back with the model number. Additionally, is the line left to right or top to bottom?

Edited by Benimur on 11/25/2010 at 4:44 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Line is left to right and the book that comes with the tv has the model as DS35580
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.
The described symptom indicates a vertical deflection failure. This is a hardware fault requiring that the Sanyo be opened up to effect repairs.

Possible suspects:
  • missing vertical + supply from the FBT (least likely);
  • faulted vertical IC (likely);
  • cold solder of any or all of the pins of the vertical output IC (most likely).

Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Service Center or a qualified professional.

Are you considering a DIY?

If yes, the vertical IC is always attached to an aluminum heatsink. Due to heat related issues, almost always, one or more of its pins gets excessively hot and develops a cold solder. Cold solder is a fault on the soldered joints that has lost its electrical conductivity. It is characterized by dull grayish color compared to shiny silvery of good solder joints. Fix for a cold solder is re-soldering.

Edited by Benimur on 11/25/2010 at 5:14 PM EST