TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a rear-projection TV (Magnavox 55P8288). It shuts off

Customer Question
I have a rear-projection TV...
I have a rear-projection TV (Magnavox 55P8288). It shuts off and then the led light blinks twice pauses blinks twice pauses etc etc. When we leave it off for a while (weeks) it will start up and play for maybe 10 minutes or so then revert back to shutting down with the two blink led indicator. The Tv is between 5 and 10 years old. It's worked fine until now. We don't smoke, house isn't dusty and there aren't any heat emitting objects near the tv. It is on a surge protector as well.
When we call the manufacturer they are not helpful and direct us to a website that helps you find tv repair folks. We want to know the problem and have a small background in circuits and electronics.   The picture/sound everything else are fine. Any help? Would like to fix myself, maybe with ordering parts online or something (checked out tvrepairkits.com for example) Please let me know what you think.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: TV
11/14/2010
TV Technician: Rick williams, Technician replied 7 years ago
Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician

Will help this customer anytime,

Hello Sir/Ms, My name is XXXXX XXXXX Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem, And possibly help you save on these Labor charges today,

If this is too technical this repair is around 200.00

well its intermitting,, which most likely means you have a bad solder connection,, it isn't broke yet when it works sometimes,, 2 blink code is the horizontal drive,, i would resolder the fly back horizontal output and drive circuit,,

graphic

Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your feedback. I played with it a little while I was waiting for your reply. Please review this new information and let me know if you still believe the above issue is the reason.

I went through and checked each wire connection I saw by making sure all were tight. Everywhere I saw a capacitor or resistor I made sure they were seated snugly. I also took a few cables and made sure they were not directly next to what looked like a "heat sink" (large metal piece in center of tv with winding sides like an accordion) I turned the tv on and instead of shutting off after 1 second it stayed on for about 45 minutes. I did not jar it or move it after it shut off. I unplug it and replug it back in and toy with the connections and it now stays on for about 10 minutes. Let me know if you still think your post applies.

I see your no tech,, well yes my answer still stands the only reason why you have it working is because it was moved,, cold solder joints act this way,,If you cant resolder then i dont know what to tell you,,
Rick williams
Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician