How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dan Your Own Question
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Category: TV
Satisfied Customers: 7180
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
Type Your TV Question Here...
Dan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Why does my samsung 52 lcd have a thick vertical line going

Resolved Question:

Why does my samsung 52" lcd have a thick vertical line going down the middle of the tv? It seems to change color at some points when the colors on the regular screen change.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.


Is the line solid or can you see through it?


Does it appear on all inputs? Cable box, DVD player, etc.?


You said it will change colors... what color(s) is it?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The line is solid. You cannot see through it.

Yes, it appears on all inputs. I have tried the dvd player and the Wii and the line is always there.

The line usually starts out black, but will change at times with the background color on the actual channel. It has changed to every color, black green blue, grey, red, orange, etc. It has also been multi-colored at times. The lines are always vertical.

The vertical line is approx 5-6 inches wide and goes all the way down the tv, just left of center.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
And does it manifest as multiple lines combined into one, almost like this picture? Or is it just 1 color at any given time?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, similar to that picture. It has not had that many colors in the line, but virtually the same line (thickness and placement) on the tv. But it has had probably up to 4-5 colors in it at once.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Ok, thanks for that... you have confirmed my suspicion.

Your Tcon board is failing (or has failed). It could also be the LVDS cable which connects the board to the LCD panel, but it's unlikely. And it could also be the panel itself, but again... it's unlikely. The Tcon board accounts for over 95% of failures like you've described.

Tcon boards usually run about $100... but can range from $50-$150. You should contact a local repair facility to verify part availability. If you'll post back with your zip code, I'd be happy to locate a qualified facility in you area. The total repair should run $350-$450 if this is the only malfunction.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My zip code is 45227.

Is that something that I could replace myself?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
The only good Samsung authorized facility in your area is called TV & Electronics Services, Inc. They're near I-75, west of the University... phone number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

You could do it yourself if you have a decent electronics skill set and a basic working knowledge of TVs. Remember, your TV harbors lethal voltages... if you're not familiar with HV circuitry, you should let a technicXXXXX XXXXXdle it. If you are comfortable... rock on. The Tcon board is directly connected to the LCD panel (the screen) by way of the LVDS cable. You could also look into a service manual to help you along.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you know the part # XXXXX my tv? And where would be the best place to find such a part? In a local store? Online?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Samsung uses many, many different panels with their sets... the Tcon you require is dependent on which one you have. You'll need to get the part number from the board itself to be sure. When you have it, there are a few reputable places online where you should be able to get it... and are a couple good ones.


If I remember your model correctly, when you remove the back panel from your TV there will be a board (maybe covered by a metal shield, maybe not)... it will be in the center (left to right) up toward the top of the panel, with a ribbon cable connected. This is the Tcon... the cable is the LVDS. Before you go ordering anything, disconnect and reconnect the cable just to be sure that wasn't your issue (minimal chance). If that doesn't fix it, get the whole part number (version, serial... every number you can find), then order it from one of the sites I linked you to earlier.



Dan and 3 other TV Specialists are ready to help you