TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Hitachi P50S601 plasma tv powers on and after displaying

an 6-8 inch vertical bar...
My Hitachi P50S601 plasma tv powers on and after displaying an 6-8 inch vertical bar on the right third of the screen, the power light on the front starts to blink blue 3 times and won't do anything else. I have found two blown capacitors (100v 3300uf KMH) on the power supply board and replaced those, but it still has the same problem, the blue light blinks 3 times. I have started on the flow chart in the service manual and am down to the 3rd test and it references two power connectors that I can not locate, CNR4 (ABUSR) and CNL2(ABUSL). Any thoughts on what might be the issue?
10/5/2010
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-This line is on the right side of the screen?

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Yes it is on the right side, probably 10 inches from the right edge of the panel, but it only displays for a split second. The unit is almost if not 4 years old.

Are you positive on the model number P50S601? IF so it does not have a ABUSR and ABUSL it has a ABUSA, B, C, and D...

Please double check the model you gave me.

Tim

I'll double check but I'm almost positive about the model number, as far as the ABUS boards...looking at the unit from the back, I have an ABUS-C on the top right, an ABUS-C on the bottom right, an ABUS-A board on the top left, and an ABUS-B on the bottoom left. I don't remember finding an ABUS-D. I'm not at home right now, so I can't be 100% until later tonight. I appreciate the help.

One of the two you told me is a ABUSC must be an ABUSD...let me know when you get home tonight and I can help you further, I should be here until around 8pm EST will you be here before then?

Tim

Sorry for the delay...I'm at home now and have verifid everything I have sent so far...both the top and bottom on the right side are boards stamped JP56081 ABUC-C...it is a model P50S601 and it was manufactured in March 2008.

Ok does this bar go from top to bottom of does it stop half way?

Tim

those boards are 18 inches long and go across the top daisy chained together and then another two boards same size going across the bottom...they aren't up and down.

No sorry, the line you are seeing in the picture is what I was asking about......

Tim

Oh sorry, the lines that show up for that split second are top to bottom/bottom to top, it appears there are a couple dozen individual lines or how ever many make up about 6-8 inches...almost like the screen is compressed...but again, its for just a second if that...and it isn't in the middle it's off to the right more....

OK so after you see that line the panel goes dark?

Tim

Sorry Tim...I know this isn't an easy one...and I truely appreciate all your effort and knowledge. The screen goes black, the power light just switches to blinking 3 times in blue.....it never does anything other than just blinking three times in blue....not that it matters...but I have to hold the power button in for 5-8 seconds in order to power it off on the tv itself...the remote won't allow me to get it turned off.

I think I mentioned it in previous emails...I have the service manual, but I can't get the TV into any service mode based on the directions using the remote or the panel in the front. I would think it's the power supply card because of that, but based on the flow chart for a blank screen and disconnecting what it says to do in the first two steps....it pretty much rules out the power supply card....and leans toward the X-Bus card or Y-Bus card...but then again....I'm lost.

Ok you see the ABUS boards that corrilate with the lines you have? disconnect the one above and below where th elines are and turn the set on, what happens?

Tim

I wasn't sure what other connections you wanted off besides those two, so with everything else plugged in except those two, I get the same results, the blue on light blinks three times. I do not see the vertical bars at all, the screen but it goes to a light grey and then goes to black in a split second.

I went ahead and went back to the flowchart and disconnected CN68(power to the x-sus), CN26 (wires connectig the bottom ABUS-C card), ad CN32 (power feeding the y-sus)...and everything is the same as above except the on light blinks blue four times instead of just three.

I am sorry to say but with the lines you are seeing and the panel shutting down within seconds, I do believe you have a bad plasma panel here. There are only really 2 things that can cause lines from top to bottom and that is the ABUS boards or the panel, but your set is dual scan so if the ABUS boards were causing the problem then most likely the lines would only go from to half way down or bottom half way up, if they are going all the way then 99% chance you have a bad plasma panel here.

Tim

So basically it's non-repairable? Do you have a personal recommendation for a replacement? LCD or plasma? Brand that is more reliable? Thanks again for all your efforts...

Sorry to say but yea, non-repairable.

I recommend LCD myself and am a big Sony fan, but I do not thing there is a tv out there right now that I could tell you to buy and is not going to brake. Unfortuantely you are not alone, many problems in the new tv market, too many to shake a stick at. The biggest recommendation I can make to you is to get the longest extended warranty you possibly can.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician