TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Sanyo DP46840 just bought yesterday. It intermittently turns

Customer Question
Sanyo DP46840 just bought yesterday...
Sanyo DP46840 just bought yesterday. It intermittently turns itself off for about 3 seconds
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: TV
9/27/2010
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 7 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When you say intermittently, does it sometimes stay on and work?

-Did you buy the tv now?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

It will pretty much stays on indefinitely unless I am using some buttons on the Dish remote. The buttons that seem to affect it seem to be the ones for the DVR or when navigating the menu of satellite receiver. Also it rained ahard here last night and whenever the satellite receiver would lose it's signal the tv would shut off then too almost as if it was input signal related but as I said I don't understand why it also turns itself back on.

Yes I bought it new from Walmart yesterday.

It is possible that the DVR remote is not programed 100% to the tv and that some of those buttons are actually telling the tv to shut off just like they were the power button.

If you do not use that DVR remote at all does the tv stay on forever?

Tim

Like I said it will also turn off if the satellite receiver reports a loss of signal from the dish like when it rains hard.

Is the receiver hooked HDMI to the tv?

Tim

Yes there are 3 HDMI ports and number one says that it also supports DVI. That's the port that it's in. I was wondering if it shouldn't be in a plain HDMI port.

You could try another HDMI port if you like but I believe to answer your question...the tv is probably allowing for HDMI control which means if the signal goes away it will shut the tv off, a very annoying issue.

There is also the other possibility that you have a broken television here, it does happen from time to time right out of the box. But without any other devices hooked to the tv it is hard to tell at this point.

Tim

I'd buy the HDMI issue but it doesn't explain why it turns off when I'm using the DVR and the menu options on the sat receiver.

The remote codes for those remotes are not always 100% for example I have a uverse remote hooked to my sony and the code that works for my sony works most of the time.

BUT if I press say the menu button on the DVR remote and it is in the tv mode, it will not bring up my menu but rather will change my tv to channel 1. So what I am saying is it is possible that the remote code you are using for your dvr remote could have the same issue and one of the buttons that you are using for the dvr is actually being programed to turn the tv off. This is not 100% but a good possibility, this is why I asked if the tv will stay on forever if none of the buttons on the remote are pressed and you do not loose signal from your satellite box.

Tim

Yes but remember that I told you in the beginning that I assigned the sat remote to a different address. Also the new tv's remote hasn't been programmed to anything else and the same the satellite receiver's remote.

Well it is possible especially with Sanyo that two codes would cause the same problem...have you tried different addresses other than the two?

Tim

No I only tried one other address. It sounds like you have some ideas what may be wrong but aren't able to tell me exactly what's wrong. Is that correct?

Well I have no way to know what exactly is causing it until we rule out possibilities.

The first thing is we need to know 100% whether or not the tv will ever shut off if no buttons on the remote are pressed. OR if it is only shutting down when a button is pressed.

Tim

It does not shut off on its own unless the satellite signal is lost like I said earlier.

You said that it will shut off for two reasons right?

1) when you loose signal from the satellite

2) when you use a button on the dvr remote?

Both of these conditions will make it shut off right?

Tim

That is correct! I cannot pin point one or more specific buttons on the rempote that do it though.

Ok then my question is...

If you do not loose signal from the satellite will the tv stay on forever if you do not touch the DVR remote?

Tim

that is correct

Then I would say it must be a remote issue, is there other addresses you can try?

Tim

It would not be solely a remote issue if it turns off when the satellite receiver loses signal. Thanks for your help but you were not able to tell me anymore than I already knew therefore I would like to have my money refunded back to Paypal please.
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician