Joe Gillette
Joe Gillette, Technician
Experience:  20 plus years in tv repair and diagnostics
41716043

MY SAMSUNG PLASMA TV KEEPS TURNING OFF AFTER A COUPLE OF MINUTES

Customer Question

MY SAMSUNG PLASMA TV KEEPS TURNING OFF AFTER A COUPLE OF MINUTES AND TRIES TO TURN ON AND OFF BY ITSELF WITH A CLICKING SOUND. CAN U PLEASE HELP ME . IT IS A 105 CM PLASMA HD INTERGRATED PL PS42C91HDX AND IT IS ABOUT 3 YEARS OLD.
PLEASE HELP.

KAILASH CHAND.
Category: TV
Expert:  Joe Gillette replied 7 years ago.
hello i will glad to help you samsung is very cowmen for that problem you can remove the back of the tv and repair or replace the power supply your self. You can get one at www.partstore.com for about two hundred. Or if you have some basic electronic skills you can replace the capacitors that go bad for about 10 dollars let me know if you need help with this
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IF I REPLACE THE CAPACITOR I DONT HAVE TO REPLACE THE POWER SUPPLY IS THAT CORRECT?
Expert:  Rod replied 7 years ago.

Hi Kailash,

I will try to help you better. Although Samsung TVs are known for power supply problems. Its not common with Plasma TVs and your symptoms.

Plasma TVs have boards called the "Y" boards - there is the Y-sustain board and Y-driver boards. The Y-driver boards provide the "high voltage" to the plasma display as well as a portion of the video signal.

When these board detect a fault, they issue a shutdown command, that removes the Vs and Va voltages (shuts them off) from the power supply - on many units these are controlled by a relay and that is what you are probably hearing.

I do not have the service manual for you specific model, but these boards are usually located on the left side of the TV. A large ribbon cable will go to the Y-driver boards (there are usually two). You can remove one of the ribbon cables at a time to see if the TV will shutdown - if it doesn't, then its the Y-driver board. You will only have half of a screen when you do this.

Sometimes the Y-sustain board can do the same, but it depends on the design.

You will need some basic trouble shooting skills and a volt meter to proceed further - or have it serviced. A service tech should be able to isolate the problem easily. The boards are replaced in this case.

Ask if you have any follow up questions.

Thanks,

Yes if you replace the capacitors you will not have to replace the board if you remove the back of the tv you will see ware the capacitors have bubbled also missed you were from Australia so parts store will not work for you here is a picture of what to look for on the caps

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Joe Gillette, Technician
Experience: 20 plus years in tv repair and diagnostics