TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

i have a hitachi 46f5oo picture in center is good move away…

Customer Question
i have a hitachi 46f5oo...
i have a hitachi 46f5oo picture in center is good move away from center colors seperate and gets worse as it goes farther from center almost like the screen is curved
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: TV
9/22/2010
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 7 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

unit is 7 yrs old have not used any other devises with it

First let me say sorry I don't have a quick fix for this problem.

The problem you are describing is a very common one in CRT projection sets like yours. The convergence circuit has failed and will require component replacement in order to get the set working again. This repair should be done by a qualified technician, these sets can be dangerous to someone who does not know where not to touch, also it is very easy to cause more bad than good if you don't know what you are doing. Also the use of a digital multi meter and the ability to solder very well will be required. I cannot stress enough, you must be able to solder very well or can cause many problems.

If you have a meter and solder equipment and would like to complete this repair yourself please let me know and I will give you instructions on how to complete this repair. Parts can cost you anywhere from $50-$150 depending on where you buy them at. But remember I have seen quite a few people destroy perfectly good sets by not knowing what they are doing so just take that as a caution.

A good repair shop will run you somewhere between $300-$500 to repair this for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

i would like the repair info then i will decide if i can do it myself i am pretty handy and i do know how to solder

Let me first give you the warning: If you decide to repair this set yourself you will need to be careful, this set feeds the tubes with tens of thousands of volts and if you are not careful and do not know exactly what you are doing you can be hurt. There are also many different caps in the set that hold a charge and can hurt you as well. In addition I have seen many good people destroy their sets because they did not know what they were doing and either broke a circuit board or damaged some traces causing their sets to never work again. If you decide to go forward please take your time and if you are ever not sure on something please stop and ask me! Its better to take a day or two more to fix your set rather than destroy it

There are two main components that you need to replace, these are both part number STK392-110 you can find these many places online. I recommend http://www.bdent.com/ but you can choose any place you like.

Once you take the back off the set you will find these parts on the right side of the circuit boards, they are large and mounted to a large metal heat sink. Also they have STK392-110 stamped on them so you should be able to find them without too much trouble. Once you locate these you need to check all resistors in the area to see if any are open, if any are open if you give me a location number I will get you a value so you can order a new one.

Let me know.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician