TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an Hitachi projection TV 57F500AIs this TV HD

Customer Question
I have an Hitachi projection...
I have an Hitachi projection TV

57F500A

Is this TV HD ready when I connect to DirectTV HD receiver
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: TV
9/20/2010
TV Technician: Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair replied 7 years ago
Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair

This TV is cable of displaying HD signals, somewhat, but not true HD at 1080P. It does have an DVI input for digital video - which can go to 1080i, and the component inputs (RGB -video R&W - audio) is close to 1080i, although analog.

It does not have a digital tuner for over the air digital signals.

Ask if you have any follow up questions.

Thanks,

So - if I switch my DirectTV to a Direct TVHD receiver - will the TV be able to display HD programs

Yes, most of the DirecTV signals are only 1080i (those in HD mode - not all DirecTV channels are in HD). You will need an HDMI to DVI adapter cable, and then connect the audio cables separately (DVI does not carry audio). Also, if you intend to record any of the HD signals, they will not record, because DVI does not carry the HDCP (copy once protection signal). The DirecTV boxes do have the RGB and Audio outputs also - and you will not notice much difference between DVI and RGB.

Thanks,
Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair