TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

AKAI 1080i PTH5498 2002 HDTV SCREEN IS GREEN LOOKING

Customer Question
AKAI 1080i PTH5498...
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: TV
9/7/2010
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 7 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Did this happen over night or was it slow and gradual?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

We just bought the tv ... direct tv is the only thing hooked up

Did you buy the tv used?

Tim

yes used

Would you say the picture looks hazy or blurry?

Tim

i would say hazy..

Ok, the problem you have is very common in these older Akai sets, what has happened is the coolant in the tubes has most likely grown an alga like fungus.

Yes I know it sounds weird but let me explain....See your tv has three picture tubes in it, a red a blue and a green. These tubes get very hot, so to combat that the manufacture puts a liquid coolant in them. Now your tubes have actually been known to grow a algae like fungus in them and cause a horrible picture. This only happens in the blue and green tubes and not the red, this is why your picture is orange, because the red is the only bright tube left and the other two are getting covered by algae.

How do you fix this? Well its a not a fun or easy process, the tubes have to be removed from the set, then disassembled, old fluid taken out, fungus cleaned out, then everything put back together again. Then once that is complete a full alignment of the tubes must be completed to make the picture look right again. When the job is done the set looks like new again. If you have this done professionally you will be looking at around $300-$400.

I have included a link below to a place where you can download a PDF file and see more about what I am talking about. This is for a philips set so it is not exact to your model but it should give you an idea of what you are looking at.

http://www.filedropper.com/projcool

I am sorry I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician