TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a sony KDF50E2000 tv. When I turn it on, the Power Light

flashes 4 times. I have...
I have a sony KDF50E2000 tv. When I turn it on, the Power Light flashes 4 times. I have been told this means a fan needs replacing. I have also been told there is more than one fan, and a tv repairman would need to discover which one. I understand it is not as easy as replacing a lamp. Does this have to done by a TV repair man? What would be the cost of the part, and what should I expect as the overall cost?
8/30/2010
Joe Gillette
Joe Gillette, Technician
you could replace both fans for less than a tv repair man but only need to buy one fan replace one and if you still have code replace the other with the one you just took out
How many fans does this particular model have? I have been told by one repairman, who is unfmiliar with Sony models, that it has four. Do you know for sure how many, and are they all the same? How hard would it be for a laymen like myself to replace the fans?

there is 2 ,11 volt fans and 2, 21 volt fans they are not all bad do you you have a volt meter or would you be able to g o to Walmart and get one for 10 dollars

I don't have one, but will get one. What do I need to do?
check voltages at the wires of the fans see if the voltage is there to run them it will shut down so probably have turn on check one then repeat process untill go through them all set meter to dc voltage and one wire will be ground and other will be source wire .thats where you want to check your voltage.also you can unplug each fan one at a time see if tv comes on that would be fan putting it in shut down

Edited by Joe Gillette on 9/1/2010 at 9:48 PM EST

Ok.

1. Is there any trick to getting into the back of these TVs, or is it just a matter of finding all the screws?

2. Will ground wire be a specific color code?

3. Just to clarify, if I unplug the bad fan, the TV will turn on, but i need to replace the fan to prevent the TV from overheating?

yes you will need to shut it down and replace fan. on the back besides screws yes just find them all have little arrows but on coax there will be little nut and if that one has computer monitor input will need to remove the lock nuts on that then you see fan units
Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair

I only remember two fans on this unit, but the reason is, the fan that causes the most problems is the lamp fan. Its a squirrel fan that sets on the lamp housing and one on the back of the TV. The most common failure is the lamp fan. Here is an illustration of the fans I am familiar with.

The back fan is easy to replace, but the lamp fan, requires a lot of caution - as you need to remove some housing and connections to get to the fan - you can damage the TV more.

If you want some detailed instructions, I can provide them. But a repair cost would run about $300, mostly labor - unless its the cabinet fan.

Thanks,

Rod, the top picture is exactly what my lamp fan looks like. I need tv for dummies explanation on exactly how to test this fan to see if it is the bad one, and then removal/replacement.
Hi Customer,

The fans are checked on the G board (power board) connectors for proper voltage and/or protection voltage. I've attached a document here - with the fan check flow chart and instructions on how to access the G board and a picture of the G board with the connector points for testing.

Thanks,
Surely that test that there is power from the G board, but how do I test to find which fan is bad. Which side of the board do I test, and if it is the component side do i need to remove the G board as illustrated. I would also appreciate you telling me exactly where i need to to place the positive and negative probes of the volt meter?

You do not need to remove the boards to test for the faulty fan. You measure the voltage on the connectors that go to the fans on the G-board. The negative probe (black) of the Digital Multimeter can go to one of the screws that holds the board down. Use the positive probe tip and insert it into the top of the connector. For the fan voltage you should see 5-7vdc. Then you also need to check to see if the protection is enabled - this should be a yellow wire into the same connector. If protection is enabled, it will measure about 3Vdc, if protection is not enabled - it should read 0 Vdc. If you see a protection voltage, that means that is the faulty fan - ensure you measure the correct pin and not the fan supply voltage.

To help you better, I've attached some illustrations here.

Thanks,
Sorry..one final question I hope. Forgive me for being completely clueless whn it comes to things electronic. What is the trick to removing this wire/white plastic connectors to the mother board so I can check the pts. I cant seem to remove them. I notice a white clip on the side. Does this have to be depressed or opened up. Thank you for being so patient. You have been a great help so far.
Hi Customer,

You can remove the clip, but you shouldn't to check the voltage and to see if the protection voltage is enabled. You check it by using the positive lead of the VOM and place the tip firmly (but not shove) into the top of the connector. If the tip of your lead is not small enough - use a paper clip with an alligator jumper to the VOM lead, and direct/hold the paper clip with the plastic covering on the alligator clip.

To remove the plastic connector - you press the clip and gently pull the connector up.

Thanks,
Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Thanks for all your help. I think I can do that with Fans 3 and 4, because of the larger connection. I'll have to get alligator clips and a use the paper clip method. The other two are very small and i dont know how i could possibly check those.
Hi Customer,

You can use the paper clip trick, even with the small connectors (use a "regular" paper clip - not the over sized ones). The plastic will give a little at the top of the connector. If you feel uncomfortable trying this, then pull the connector up slightly - to expose the connector pins near the circuit board mount - the connector must still make contact. You can measure at the exposed bottom portion of the pins. You must be careful not to short your probe/paper clip against two pins.

No need to accept again, since you already have.

Thanks,
Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair