TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My Hitachi 60 projection TV has lost video. At first it was…

My Hitachi 60" projection TV...
My Hitachi 60" projection TV has lost video. At first it was intermittent but now there is no video at all, but there is sound.
8/18/2010
Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician

Hello friend, My name is XXXXX XXXXX Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem, And possibly help you save on these Labor charges today, Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your question?

How old is the set?

Has any work been performed?

Can I have your make and model?

are you willing to open the TV ??

And also have you any Television electronics experience? if not A family/friend with electronics skills that can help you out.

Do you have a meter and Tools?

Are to trying to repair your Self?

Just know what to say to the tech, so time isn't a problem in repairs?

The set is 10 years old. No work other than cleaning out the interior. It is a Hitachi SDX. I am willing to open the TV. I do have tools and a meter. I would like to repair it myself if possible. I do not have any friends with experience.
Friend,, please if you want help,, i need a little assistance from you,, on the rear of the tv,, it has a model number i need it.
60SDX88BA
open the unit turn on,, there should be LED that are lit,,, give me location of ones that aren't
Looks like DP-15, DP-16, DP20, DP-21, DP-22
Well it looks like your convergence circuit is bad,, lot of work if your a novice,, you can test by removing the STK chips,, and then turning the unit on without the chips,, if they are bad tv will turn on,, Also your having a vertical failure very strange more than one circuit bad,, Tap on the boards with something not metal,, while its on see if a picture flickers,

(Please click on high lighted words)

this is when two chips labeled STK392-xxx Failed. They can be located by finding the largest heat sinks in the unit.

Along with the possibility being an open resistor and or open fuse in the convergence circuit. All of the resistors around these chips should be checked pay attention to the ones that are standing up and they all should read low ohms, If they are in the k ohms they are probably open which is bad ,This is a tricky repair, if you have Never done this repair I don't suggest it friend.

But if you are willing to tackle this problem the only step by step procedure I found for you would be to watch someone do the repair, and this I found on the internet in the convergence problem screen. This will give you an idea of the work involved and also what the parts look like. Now I also have sites were you can pull up manuals, check here

www.free-service-manuals.com

www.s100-manuals.com

www.eserviceinfo.com

Well Good luck friend, and if my efforts on trying to help you save on those large labor charges are appreciated, feedback and a bonus will be appreciated

Thanks.

,graphic

Edited by Rick williams on 8/18/2010 at 11:12 PM EST
I don't know if it's related but RH44 is melted. Sounds like too much work and expense for a 10 year old set, I was hoping for cheap fix. Thanks for your help, I will leave positve feedback.
Well,, the age of this tv,, you may get it repaired for around 200.00,, well good luck friend,, and thanks
Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician