TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Hitachi 57 in. projection TV. 57gwx20b model picture dark.

I have a Hitachi 57...
I have a Hitachi 57 in. projection TV. It is a 57gwx20b model. The overall power seems to be fading. The colors and alignment are consistent but very dark. I took the access panel off and cleaned the lenses with the result of still being dark but clearer. How do I make it brighter?
8/16/2010
Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Chuck Williams :

Hi!

Chuck Williams :

If you press the TV's MENU button, is the Hitachi menu also dark?

Customer:

Yes it is..

Customer:

Are you still there?I had to go for a little while as I was on for several hours..

Customer:

My cell is XXX-XXX-XXXX. There was a popup that asked if I wanted notification by cell when you replied..

Customer:

Is there an adjustment pot. somewhere for the overall power voltage? Many of the older sets had one for overpowering the basic power supply to make it brighter.

Customer:

Conrad, How are you doing?? Have to shut down soon. Have to get up to go to work at 5:AM.

Customer:

Will not be home until after 4:PM central US. tomorrow. You can contact my cell but I will not be able to get to it until I get off work.

Chuck Williams :

I'm back.

Chuck Williams :

Do yopu have any electronics experience and would be comfortable openning up the front of the set under the screen?

Customer:

I am a journeyman industrial electrician and yes I would feel comfortable doing that.

Customer:

I downloaded the manual for this set but I don't see any gain pots in the power board.

Customer:

I also do not see any way to amplify the picture in the software setups.

Customer:

Have to go to bed. How do we get together tomorrow night?

Customer:

Is anybody there?? How do I get an answer to my qyestion about the TV.?

Chuck Williams :

Hi, I'm here. I don't think this is a software issue, I think it's a minor hardware issue. Let me explain.

Chuck Williams :

This may be a super easy fix, but you need to take the front off of the set to see the CRT drive cards for each tube.

Take the front speaker grill off, then there is an access panel that you need to remove.

Once you have that open, carefully reach in and wiggle the 3 CRT cards. The picture may just snap right back to normal.

Whether or not that happens, the fix is to remove the drive cards, blow them out with compressed air, and put them back on.

It's a little tricky to get the drive card off. First make sure the set is unplugged. You'll see a metal clamp that secures the base of the drive card to the neck of the tube. You'll need to loosen the clamp, but you'll see that there are some plastic "fingers" that the clamp tightens against, and the fingers press against some cloth tape around the glass. Over time, some adhesive seeps out and effectively glues the plastic fingers to the tape. All you need to do is use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry away as many of the fingers from the tape as you can reach, then just gently wiggle the board off of the end of the tube. Be careful not to accidentally bend any of the pins that come from the tube, they are very difficult to re-align.

Try that, let me know how it goes, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Customer:

Thanks Chuck, Starting to get into it now. Will let you know how well it goes. One question though, why would it affect all three cards equally? Most of the shows are in subdued light and a little red but those in full light have very good overall color. Perhaps there is a ckt to equalize them to the weakest one?? Oh well, going for the screwdriver. Thanks, Vic.

Customer:

Hey Chuck, It worked.... Might want to tell people that when they release from the base, it can be kind of abrupt. Thought I might have squished one of the pins like you had mentioned but it was ok. I guess that now I have to hit the accept key for you to get paid. I will do that in a second but I wanted to tell you that I thought you were worth every penny. Thanks, Vic.

Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician