TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

my lg 42 inch plasma tv keeps turning off and on while trying

to watch it....
my lg 42 inch plasma tv keeps turning off and on while trying to watch it.
8/7/2010
Joe Gillette
Joe Gillette, Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Joe Gillette :

hello

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
hello when it powers down do you still have sound or everything shuts off

everything shuts off

the power supply is going out would you like to repair it or replace it your self

How much would it cost to repair and can I do it myself?

you will need to be able to solder to do it your self here is the info to replace it

When you remove the back of the set. You will fined a couple of caps on the power supply board that are bulged and they need to be replaced, or you can buy a new power supply at www.partstore.com. If you want to just purchase the caps, you can get them at www.mcmelectronics.com

graphic

.

Edited by Joe Gillette on 8/7/2010 at 3:28 AM EST
i have the back off and nothing is bulging as you show in the picture.
ok the center board is the power supply unplug tv and remove the board be careful caps store voltage for while even after being unpluged on the other side look for cold solder joints like this number 1 and number 2graphic
ok I did
they all seem to look like #4
ok to try and find leaky or over heating part then get a cross part for it (they are all mostly private lable numbers) you would be better off to replace it start fresh . even if you find bad part then find cross once you replace it next weakest part goes out

what does a 'leaky' part look like?

you have to use an oscilloscope and watch the line to see if it curves or is straight .or use a capacitor meter to see if the caps are not bulging yet but are bad . and then ohms meter to see if the resister have gone up in value from what they are suppose to be
What i did see when I took the board off was a build up of dirt on about 20 tips ......would that make a difference in performance?

that is what causes the cold jionts and most of the time i clean board with alchahol then sometimes have to use magnifying glass to see very small rings around legs of the solder jionts still could be your problem

i think it worked! I cleaned the back carefully and it hasn't shut off yet....tHANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! ....Melissa
no problem glad to here that

Mr. Gillette, It did not work, sadly. It stayed on for about 15 minutes then I heard a loud "pop" then it shut off again. It went back to shutting off then back on and with the longer delay between cycling and was staying off for longer periods of time then it would click back on then shut off immediatley not giving it enought time to even show a picture. I unplugged it. That is the only problem I have expierenced with this LG Plasma TV. I would like to order the power board and install it myself, do you think that is the only part I need to order? I reside in Lake Villa , Illinois, 60047, are you aware of any local companies that sell parts? Melissa Meyer

yes it will be all you need go to www.partstore.com match the numbers up on your board with one on parts list then you will have fresh start
Joe Gillette
Joe Gillette, Technician
Joe Gillette
Joe Gillette
Joe Gillette, Technician