TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

How to connect external speakers to my Samsung television?

Customer Question
How do I connect external...

How do I connect external speakers to my Samsung television model LN40A650A1F? What type and size connectors do I use? Which ports on the TV do I use?

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: TV
7/20/2010
TV Technician: Steve G., Technician replied 7 years ago
Steve G., Technician

This model has a headphone jack. You can use that to output an analog audio signal.

What kind of speakers are you planning to use? Are they self powered?

Let me know and I'll complete my answer.

I have large Awai speakers. They are not self powered. I don't think the headphone jack can push much power out. There are several ports on the back, but I dont know which ones to use. Also, what kind and size connectors should I use?

Ok, so you need something to power the speakers.

You would need to buy a cheap receiver, maybe a used one. Best Buy has some for $229: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+400W+5.1-Ch.+3D+Pass+Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/9846483.p?id=1218183107289&skuId=9846483

Here's how its done.

The TV has an optical audio output (like all most new TVs). You simply run an optical cable from the TV to the receiver.

Or, if you buy a cheap receiver with no optical input, you can use the headphone jack and purchase a 3.5mm to RCA adapter like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016LTZFI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000A3GPIS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1J9TKY0N1V0N0M0HC7CC

They are not receivers. They are 2 Awai 150 watt stereo speakers. There is only one earphone jack. How would I connect two speakers to that?

Can I run optical audio output cables from the TV directly to my speakers? If so, please give me specifications and size for the cable.

You can't use speakers without amplification unless they are self powered.

You need an amplifier or receiver of some kind between the TV and the speakers.

On the back of the speakers are there any kind of connections other than the speaker wire terminals? If the answer is 'no' then the speakers are 'regular' speakers and need amplification.

Steve G., Technician
Steve G., Technician