TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Hi, I bought a 61 Samsung DLP about 18 month ago. The

Customer Question
Hi, I bought a 61" Samsung...

I bought a 61" Samsung DLP about 18 month ago. The first bulb burnt out after 12 months, the second one only lasted 6 months and the 3rd one lasted just 8 days. This last bulb burnt out yesterday and when I turn the TV on now I can actually hear 2 quick zaps of power going to the bulb, but it still doesn't work. All 3 lights are flashing so it looks like this bulb is burnt out too. Should I just buy another bulb or should I have a technincian come look at the TV. 8 days for a bulb is rediculous! Any advice would be appreciated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/30/2010
TV Technician: Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center replied 8 years ago
Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Hello JA Customer
I have been fixing Tv and Electronics since I was 5 years old
With better than 20 years experience and 17 years in business
What is the full model number of this tv?

On the side of the TV it has a model code - HL61A650C1FXZA

On the user manual it has a code on the back cover - BP68-00660A-01

Does that help?

yes
look at ballast is the big capacitor have a rounded top?
not flat?
like thisgraphic

Not sure where the ballast is or how I would go about looking at it???

I pulled the lamp bulb but I don't see any capicitors.

take the back off look at where the lamp is
there is a rectangular board with 2 wires that go to the lamp
that is the ballast
pull the lamp out
look at the socket where the lamp connects
follow the 2 wires right to the ballast board
I found the brown and white capicitor on the ballast board. It has a flat top, but it doesn't have the X style grooves on top (like the ones in the picture you sent). It's perfectly flat. Also, it looks like it has the number 45 on it... if that helps.
Ok so the big cap is ok?
then the power supply should be ok
but lets verify it if we can
do you have a DC volt meter?
No, but I can borrow one from a friend this evening. Just send me the directions on what I should be checking with the volt meter.
There is a 2 pin plug on the ballast board near the big cap
there should be 300v or more on that 2 pin plug
measure across theplug
one probe on each wire
DC VOLTS
If this voltage is weak less than 200v you have bad capacitors on the power supply
ALL THE WAY TO THE LEFT over top the digital board
you will see the 2 pin wire you are that you are checking comes from there