TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

2003 model Toshiba rear projection TV. When we turn it on…

Customer Question
2003 model Toshiba rear projection...
2003 model Toshiba rear projection TV. When we turn it on the picture flickers for awhile
and eventually straightens out. The problem has gotten worse with time ( tv flickers longer before picture clears up).
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/29/2010
TV Technician: Steve, Technician replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, Technician
Hello, please post the model number found on the back of the TV?

Is the picture wavy or jittery, or does it separate into different colors?

Have there been any previous repairs?

Model #(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Jittery

No repairs

Hi, that may be the serial number. The model number should be similar to: XXXXX XXXXX etc. It should start with the screen size...
42H82
Okay, thank you. Please allow me a short time to gather some information for you. Perhaps 10-15 minutes...
Okay
Hi, thank you for waiting. The problem you are seeing is very likely caused by a failure of the "Hyper" module. This is a very common problem in this series of Toshiba TV. The Hyper module is responsible for processing and combining the different video signals, and also converts a standard picture for viewing on the HD display.

Inside the module are eleven capacitors that are gradually failing and will cause a variety of picture problems, depending on which ones are bad and how bad they are. Horizontal tearing, jitter, or rolling are all common symptoms of a bad Hyper module. If you wish to repair this yourself, you would need very fine soldering equipment and very good soldering skills to replace these eleven surface-mount components. Here is a photo inside the Hyper module showing the capacitors to change:

graphic

The capacitors are all 10uf at 16 volts and are available at www.encompassparts.com for $1.91 each. The part number is: 24619040N, here is a link to the part page:

https://www.encompassparts.com/webwiz/wwiz.asp?wwizmstr=WEB.SEE&partnumber=6197642

Alternative methods of repair are to use standard electrolytic capacitors (also available at Encompass) with closely bent leads, or sending the Hyper module to be rebuilt at http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com.

If you wish to have a local shop replace these, the labor should be in the $250-300 range (in my area). Some shops may not be able to repair this board, and instead will send the board to the rebuild company. Sending the board to be rebuilt will increase the repair price, so you may want to ask whether or not the shop can do the repair themselves before you commit to a service call (this is a common repair for an authorized Toshiba servicer). Of course, it will not hurt to continue to use the TV as long as possible before repairing it (trying to save you money).

I wish I had better news, but I hope this gives you an idea of what to expect to repair this. Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can help in any way.
Can I buy a new hyper module and if so the approximate price.
Hi, I will check on this for you. I will post the information I find very soon, thank you for bearing with me...
Steve
Steve, Technician
Hi, all of the reputable suppliers I use show this as no longer available. This is not surprising, since these are a common failure and I am sure the extra stock was sold very quickly. There may be suppliers that claim to have this part in stock, but I am unsure of their reputation.

PTS electronics, the rebuild company (http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com), does not have an extra board in stock. However, they (surprisingly) do list a price for rebuilding this board. Usually they want their customers to call first (calling first may be a good idea, anyway). The part number for the board is: 23148024 and it can be rebuilt for $131.25. Here is a link to the page:

http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com/23148024-P2146.aspx

If you decide to remove this board to repair it: The hyper board is parallel and just behind the board where the input jacks are located. Please notice that the board does unplug, but there are four ground tabs that must be unsoldered on the bottom of the chassis before it can be removed. Please know, too, that if I can help at all along the way, just let me know.

And, thank you for the Accept!