TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I moved to a new residence and no my TV will not turn on. There…

Customer Question
I moved to a new...
I moved to a new residence and no my TV will not turn on. There appears to be no power going to the set. I have hit the reset, tried a cold restart and a warm restart. The power cord is in good condition. I have tried different outlets.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/28/2010
TV Technician: Steve G., Technician replied 8 years ago
Steve G., Technician

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about your TV. I will try my best to give you a precise and accurate answer.

This actually is quite a common problem with all televisions.

The solder joints in televisions are mostly made by machine. Some are better than others. During regular use, the joints warm up and cool down. Some become brittle.

Then, the TV is moved and likely bumped and jarred. The brittle joints fracture and the TV stops working.

In your case, since the set is completely dead, the main fuse has blown in the power supply section probably because the brittle joint caused an overcurrent and popped the fuse.

If you are handy with a multimeter and basic tools, you may be able to troubleshoot the set and find the cause of the blown fuse. Otherwise you are going to need the services of a tech. If he can track it to component level, you may only be looking at $150-$300 assuming nothing else has been damaged.

I'm sorry it isn't good news.

Please don't forget to click ACCEPT and let me know if I can help you further. I will be here if you need more help, info or have a follow up comment or question.

You have trusted me by placing a deposit with Just Answer. In turn, I am trusting you to click the ACCEPT button if I have been of assistance. It is the only way that I get paid for my time and research and it does not close our dialog together...we can continue with your issue. Also consider a bonus. Bonuses are...well...they're a bonus!!