TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Toshiba TV, 32 less than 5 years old and there are…

Customer Question
I have a Toshiba TV...
I have a Toshiba TV, 32" less than 5 years old and there are white lines across the top of the screen about 2" down from the top.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/28/2010
TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 8 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to the site,

Initially, the described symptom indicates an about to fail vertical deflection circuitry or more particularly, the pump-up capacitor. This is then a hardware concern and would require that the Toshiba 27A33 be opened up to effect repairs.

Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Service Center or a qualified professional.

Offhand, if a DIY is being considered:
  • the vertical pump-up capacitor would have board location something like C407;
  • it would have a value in the neighborhood of 100 uF / 35V;
  • it would be physically near the vertical output IC401, LA78041;
  • if at all possible, replace with higher temp rating of 105º;
  • observe/maintain polarity of capacitor leads;
  • while the actual repair is simple, it is getting access to the solder joints that maybe more of a challenge.

Good luck and thank you for asking.

Edited by Benimur on 6/28/2010 at 5:00 PM EST