TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I HAVE SONY CINEMA SYSTEM AND SONY TV BOTH NEW BUT CANNOT GET…

Customer Question
I HAVE SONY CINEMA SYSTEM...
I HAVE SONY CINEMA SYSTEM AND SONY TV BOTH NEW BUT CANNOT GET TV SOUND THROUGH CINEMA SPEAKERS MANUAL SAYS I NEED OPTICAL CABLE TO CONNECT BUT ALSO SAYS IF I HAVE HDMI CABLE I DONT NEED OPTICAL CABLE SO HOW DO I GET TV SOUND tv model sony kdl-40w58xx sony blue ray modelbdv-e370
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2010
TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 8 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to the site,

Initially, postback with the model numbers of the TV and the Cinema System.

Good luck and thank you for asking.

Edited by Benimur on 6/27/2010 at 2:54 PM EST
hi, model no sony blue ray home theatre system bdv-e370 tv model sony kdl-40w581ou.thank you
Appreciate the additional information.

The HDMI connection from the Sony BDV-E370 to the Sony KDL-40W5810 is uni-directional; one way towards the TV. For the TV sound to be heard on the BDV-E370's speakers, a digital optical audio cable must be connected from the TV's DIGITAL AUDIO OUT back towards the Cinema System's TV DIGITAL IN. Thereafter, in the Audio settings sub-menu of the TV, the TV's internal speakers must be turned to OFF to enable external audio feed to the Cinema System. There are 2 choices:
  • Variable - the level of the audio fed to the BDV-E370 is controlled by the TV's remote;
  • Fixed - the level of the audio fed to the BDV-E370 is constant and therefore the volume is to be controlled by the BDV-E370's remote only.

Edited by Benimur on 6/27/2010 at 5:41 PM EST
Louie, Technician
hi i will have to get optical cable to try it thank you
I understand and appreciate the ACCEPT.