TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have Dish TV & have been recording onto my Dish DVR programs…

Customer Question
I have Dish TV &...
I have Dish TV & have been recording onto my Dish DVR programs like " Hawaii Five-O ", " Three Stooges " & other series specials for the past year. What I have been doing is recording or burning these programs onto DVD with all commercials removed, this takes lots of patients but I look at it as a hobby. Recently I noticed that when I attempt to record or burn any of my recorded programs onto DVD that my burner says," Uncopyable Movies,cannot record". I cleaned my DVD lens & even tried using new DVD disc but having no luck. I think DISH recently must have started transmitting all there programs with a digital added signal format so that recording material cannot be accomplished! My DVDs input is analog ch. 60, I tried cable TV ch. 163, still the same problem. What kind of a device can I build that would kill or neutralize the imprinted data that will allow my DVD to once again record off of my Dish DVR?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/26/2010
TV Technician: Hookupguy, Technician replied 8 years ago
Hookupguy
Hookupguy, Technician
I do not know of a way to remove the signal. However I was reading some information on the dish site that says you can still make a copy. You would need a recorder that is HDCP compatible. Once you have made the copy the show will no longer be available on your dvr. More information is available at this website. It looks like the simple fix is to get a HDCP compatible dvd recorder.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/faq/copy_protection/
What if I were to put " in-line" @ the rear rf input a resistor or a diode between the rf feed in?
A single diode or resistor will not get the job done. There is a device that radioshack sells that you could hookup to the audio video jacks, that modulates the signal back to an RF signal. This may remove the recording issue, though it was not designed for that purpose. Have you tried recording with the A/V jacks instead of the RF jacks?
Can't do that, my DVD recorder does accept RCA input but the secondary feed line comes from the main Dish DVR located in the living-room which sends it's " secondary TV signal" which is an RF type signal transmitted on analog TV ch.60 to my room, my DVD is hooked up to this cable, which I could record onto & burn DVDs, my TV (room) is getting it's feed from the DVR RCA outputs. I was thinking with my older VCR which is stacked on top of the newer DVR Recorder,I could try to hook the RF in-in that & then run short RCA out cables to the RCA In's on the DVR? I just can't understand that if anything is transmitted through a cable that is an analog type signal being transmitted onto ch. 60 that any DVR should be able to record or burn. I will try this before anything,simply attempt to record a " uncopyable recording" onto VHS, maybe if it works on tape & not on DVR burn,I might try to use a different type disc?, right now I am using Memorex DVD-R type disc,I will purchase a different type disc & also try recording onto VHS, I will let you know the out come as soon as I know,OK?
Running it through the vcr may solve the problem. You will need to have the vcr on and tuned to channel 60. Then your dvd recorder will be on channel 3 now because the vcr will output on 3.
Jason, today I tried a different type DVD Disc, DVD + R which is capable of recording 240 Min. or has 8.5 GB/Go. Apparently my DVR does not recognize this format which I probably had this unit now for 5+ yrs., I am going to make another run to Rad. Shack & buy DVD+R that is capable of like 120min. or so. According to my DVR it should be capable of recording & playing " DVD-R/-R/+RW/+R ", I also picked a pack of Memorex DVD-RW @ 4.7GB 120 min.,my recorder did recognize this format which I then attempted again to record & the same issue is occurring!? I then hooked the RF cable to the "IN-RF" on the older VCR,which I ran RCA cables coming out to the RCA "IN PUT" on the DVR recorder, which I also ran into the same problem! I then attempted again with only the audio RCA "IN" hooked up & found that I can record or burn this audio onto DVD,as soon as I plug in the video RCA the DVR stops & "writes" files then says on screen," uncopyable programs"??? I then ran the RCA from the old VCR to an old analog TV transmitter which is capable of transmitting an analog TV sig. on CH.14. I then installed a 5" piece of antenna wire into the "RF-IN" on the DVR & tuned to CH.14, which I then had a super clear picture & audio,attempted to record of that & guess what........"uncopyable programs"...............I will try the DVD+R @ 4.? whatever GB,120 min., if that don't work I might try the HDCP recorder which maybe my DVR is probably seen it's time? Thanks so much for your time & effort, if you could maybe through this problem to some of your colleagues.....XXXXX XXXXX [email protected]
I think you are right the problem seems to be your dvr/recorder. The wouldn't be any way for your dish box to know that your recording the signal. I would throw an old tape into your vcr and try recording just to check and make sure you can. I would also test your dvr/recorder by trying to copy a old tape from the vcr, without the dish connected anywhere. I am betting you will be able to record the dish on the vcr, but when you try to record a tape from you vcr without the dish hooked up at all that it will still have the same problem. If all that is true your dvr/recorder is dead and should be replaced. Please let me know.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I need to have my question fowarded to a more knowledgeable tech.