TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a 32 phillips tv that, when first turned on, turns…

I have a 32" phillips...
I have a 32" phillips tv that, when first turned on, turns itself off. I have to keep clicking it on for it to stay on. What can I do?
6/25/2010
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What does the light on the front do when this it does not turn on? (blink, go off, change color, ect.)

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

The light turn off. The unit is older than 4 years

This is a very common problem with your tv, what has most likely happened (about 90% of the time) is the power supply has failed, more specifically there are a few caps in the power supply that have most likely failed. The unit will require component replacement to get it working again. Do you have any electronic repair experience, test equipment, and soldering equipment? If so I can assist you with this repair. If you do not have the above equipment and skills a repairman will be required for this repair, you can expect the bill to be around $200.

I am sorry that I don't have a magic button or a quick fix for you on this one, but component replacement will be required.

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Edited by Expert TV on 6/25/2010 at 11:21 PM EST
I do have experience with electronics repair and can follows directions very well.

The first thing you will need to do is take the back off the set so you can gain access to the power supply, once you can see the power supply you need to inspect it for bubbled capacitors. If you are not sure what you are looking for you can post a picture of the power supply to me and I will inspect it for you. (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above where you are typing with the green tree on it. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Let me know once you get to this point.

Tim

Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Unfortunately I can't do it today. May I do it on Monday?
AND thank you for your service

Ok no problem, just get back when you can.

Thanks!

Tim

I called a tech and he fixed it. He charged me $150. as he had to come to my house to fix. Your estimate was very accurate and he had it repaired in no time. Thanks very much for your very expert advise. The money I spent on this answer helped me to save the money it would have cost to buy a new tv versus the money I spent on the repair. It was money very well spent. Keep up the very excellent work!

Awesome news, I am glad I could help! You got a good price on the repair also!

Thanks,

Tim