TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV will not power on but when we press the remote to start…

Customer Question
TV will not power on...
TV will not power on but when we press the remote to start it says DISC. We do not have a disc in the TV.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/26/2010
TV Technician: TV Tech1, Technician replied 8 years ago
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-32HL66-32-Inch-Diagonal-TheaterWide/dp/B000FA0DFW

Is this your actual TV model?? The model number you gave us does not show up, and this model doesn't look like it has a Built-in DVD player.

No the model number is XXXXX
Waiting for your reply as i sent the correct model number.

Ok, FIRST I want you to unplug the TV set for 5 minutes...that's to reset the microprocessor.

Then I'd like you to insert a DVD disc. Play it, remove the disc from your TV set.

Then I would like you to press the ANT button on your remote control to see if it switches to the ANT or not.

What I would like to find out is this....

Did the DVD player ACCEPT the Disc? Did it Play? Did it return the Disc when you ejected it?

Did you see the DISC display switch to ANT when the ANT button was pressed?

The questions I ask tell me several things....

The micro is functioning or not.

The DVD has power to it or not.

The system control is responding to commands coming from the remote control

This will isolate the problem to either the micro, the DVD player, the power supply 33 Volt circuit or the system control bus.

Also, if the ANT button doesn't bring up ANT on the display, try the volume or any other input selection.

Let me know the outcome of those tests.

I cut the tv off for five minutes.

Put in dvd and played and removed the dvd.

Tv came on and is playing but it goes off an on. It playes for two minutes and goes off.

It has been off for five minutes but just came on.

Thanks for your help!

Ok, so now we need to know if the Actual TV is POWERING DOWN by itself, or when you say it "plays for 2 minutes, then goes off" -- is is just LOSING the picture (you can verify this by either pressing the Volume button or the menu button on the remote and seeing if the menu/volume bar displays on the black picture.

If the TV is powering down, we replace the power supply, if the Display shows then we replace the video board.

That's why I need to know, ok?

We just returned from dinner and the tv is doing the same as it was doing previously

as the tv will not come on only thedisc light is blinking. The cabel box will come on but no tv.

Ok, so now we need to know if the Actual TV is POWERING DOWN -- Not lighting up the picture tube

OR LOSING the picture (you can verify this by either pressing the Volume button or the menu button on the remote and seeing if the menu/volume bar displays on the black picture.

That's why I need to know, ok?

The tv is powering down! Pressing any button does not change anything

Ok, you have a Dual Power supply system -- one is used to start the other. Either one fails and you lose power totally.

Part numbers are 75002655 and 75002656

https://www.encompassparts.com/webwiz/wwiz.asp?wwizmstr=WEB.SEE&partnumber=6832618

https://www.encompassparts.com/webwiz/wwiz.asp?wwizmstr=WEB.SEE&partnumber=8158227

http://www.shopjimmy.com/toshiba-75002655-power-supply.htm

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=75002656

http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com/Search.aspx?k=75002655%20

http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com/75002656-P6067.aspx

Each company supplies both units, I think the first one is presently out of stock on one board, but they will get it back in stock

When you recieve your boards, just remove the screws in the back of your TV, and you'll be able to compare the NEW board with the old board-- then you'll know which ones to replace.

If you have any questions, just ask

Thank you.

How much are the parts and will need both?

You need BOTH - they work together as a team, and the URLs I sent have the part prices (or they should have, as I copied the urls of the page that gave the part number, the cost, and of course how many they have in stock)

If those urls don't work -- you can use the part numbers in Google and find the paired boards -- but these websites are the GOOD ones.

If you have any questions, just ask

Thank you.

The Web sight for the parts will not let me loig in as it states errors for bothe. I would like to see the cost.

OK, MODUS LINK's prices are $133.00 and $93.00 for a total of $226.00 for Both Boards

ShopJimmy only has the one board for $40....the other is not in stock. It'll save you $53.00

Lastly, Encompass has Both -- $197.57 and $73.70 for a Total of $271.27

I suggest making contact with Shop Jimmy first

http://www.shopjimmy.com/

Then get in touch with ModusLink next

http://www.moduslink.com/

Go to the AFTERMARKET TAB -- then select Purchase TV Main Boards.

Now, if you can't get ShopJimmy or ModusLink from MY URLS....Google them.

I set this up so you can copy and paste the part numbers and open another tab and find them on Google or by direct access using the two company names.

If you can't access them doing that, you need to check to see if the Email you get sent is affecting your internet explorer -- you can do that simply by writing down the part numbers, and websites, then closing internet explorer and re-opening it. It should easily access both main pages and you can then search the part numbers in their site.

If you have any questions, just ask

Thank you.