TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My TV will turn on for a moment then turn its self off. What…

Customer Question
My TV will turn on...
My TV will turn on for a moment then turn its self off. What could be some of the problems? I think my roommate hooked up speakers that are 6 ohms and it says not to hook up anything but 8 ohm speakers.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/25/2010
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Do you get a picture for the moment it comes on?

-What does the light on the front do?

-Did this start at the same exact time that he hooked up the speakers?

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

For a little while you would get picture then it would turn off. Now the red light at the bottom comes on but the picture doesn't show and it turns off suddenly. The speakers worked for awhile with the picture then this problem happened about 9-10 months after the speakers being hooked up. The manufacturing date is 1996.

Turn the tv on so you have a red light and then shake the tv a little, does the picture pop in?

Tim

The red light is bright then pops out and back in and makes a crackle sound but no picture.

It does all that when you shake it a little?

Tim

Yes

I think you most likely have a bad vertical circuit, this problem is going to require internal component repair.

The repair can go a few different ways, if your lucky you just have some bad connections on the bottom of the vertical output IC. If this is the case the repair should be no more than $200. Another way it can go is if the IC has failed. If the IC itself has failed you can expect to pay around $325 for the repair.

If you know how to solder and use a digital multi meter I can assist you in this repair, otherwise a repairman will be required.

I am sorry I don't have a magic button to fix this problem, please let me know where you would like to go from here!

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Thank you I think I will just buy a HD tv.

Ok no problem, sorry for the bad news.

Tim