TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

When our room is dark and there is no movie being shown our…

Customer Question
When our room is dark...
When our room is dark and there is no movie being shown our KDL52W5100 TV has faint grey patches on random areas of the screen. Mostly in the lower left hand corner. I do not see any evidence of this while viewing blue ray, regular broadcast or streaming hi def. What is the cause and how do I fix it. this was purchased in Dec.2009.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/25/2010
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What are you watchings when you see these?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

When we watch anything and that is not full screen we see some of this effect. When we finish any full screen blue ray or broadcst and turn off the blue ray or broadcast and the TV is still on we see this effect.

How large are these?

Any chance you can get a picture of this and post it to me?

Tim

They are irregular in shape and occur on the edges of the screen. a few inches across.

Turn the tv to a blank input, does it appear when the screen is blank?

Tim

I just turned it on and it is completely blank. no grey streaks of any kind

No way of getting a picture of this for me?

Tim

I don't think so but I only see it at night when the room is dark. Could it be some kind of reflection?

Thats a possibility, you could try and move the tv do a different angle in the room and re test it tonight. Also if you can a picture is worth 1000 words and I can tell a ton from seeing it myself.

Do you want to try moving it tonight and see if you still have the problem?

Tim

I'll give it a try. the picture is great when on. this only appears when the TV is on but the dvd player or streaming download is off.

Ok sounds good, let me know what happens.

Tim

Will do

Thanks,

Tim