TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have just replaced my lamp in our 50 KF-50we620. When powered…

Customer Question
I have just replaced my...
I have just replaced my lamp in our 50" KF-50we620. When powered up, the green light blinks over 35 times the switches to a flashing lamp light. Need some help. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/25/2010
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Was this the same problem as before you changed the lamp?

-Is the lamp light flashing a code? (example 6 blinks pause 6 blinks pause repeat)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

No. The lamp indications seem to be cut and dry.

the green light flashed for 50 seconds the switched to a flashing lamp light. No pause during the lamp flash. I powered the tv down after 35lamp flashes.

Thanks for your help.

What was the tv doing before the lamp change?

Do you have the lamp door back on the tv?

Tim

Not before. Both the metal cage on the lamp assembly and the plastic cover with the thumb screw is installed. I did forget to install the plastic one before i powered up the first time.

Ok...what was originally wrong with the tv in the first place, what was it doing that made you decide to change the lamp?

Tim

flashing stanby then steady lamp light.

So now the only thing that changed is the lamp light is flashing? But you say it has no code?

Tim

correct. flashing green 50 seconds the flashing un-interupted lamp light. before was flashing red the steady lamp

Did you get the entire lamp with housing or just the bulb and had to disassemble your lamp housing?

Tim

just the lamp. kept hands off with gloves. re-install seem to be exact.

Did you buy it online? If so can you send me the link to where you got it?

Tim

Needleguy.com.
1 xSony XL-2100U XL2100 Television Replacement Lamp

Ok take the lamp door off and then look around the area, does any of this look melted?

Tim

just pulled out entire assembly. no melting. all seems normal. felt like it had seated properly in install.

Make sure the door is seated correctly again and lets try one more time.

Tim

which door?

There was a door that you had to take off the tv to get to the lamp, this is the lamp door this must be back on the tv correctly in order for it to work.

Tim

Lamp door installed, not the front cover. Just reinstalled. before i did, i saw that the male ends looked corroded. knocked a little of it off. 50 seconds of green flashing, then one red. 50 seconds of green flashing then, constant lamp flashing followed by an apparent power off with a steady off light. could it be an issue with the corrosion. what can i clean it with?

You can clean corrosion with rubbing alcohol, I have never seen what you are talking about though, are you seeing this on the lamp or on the connector in the tv?

Tim

male ends on the lamp assembly that seat into the tv

Your new lamp didnt come with these?

Tim

i am taking about in the bottom off the assembly, not on the lamp itself

Doesn't sound like this would be causing your problem, you are welcome to attempt to clean them if you like.

I would like you to put the lamp in and the lamp door back on and then put your ear near this door and attempt to turn it on in a quiet room. Do you hear anything inside?

TIm

alcohol is doing the trick. male ends of the wiring harness should be a better description. let allow some dry time. will be back in 5

Ok let me know, I actually have to step out for a few so I will be back in about 30 or 45 to check on you.

Tim

50 seconds of flashing green, then flashing lamp. sounds like small fan running inside. frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does the noise come and go or is it constant?

Tim

constant small fan noise. after approx 2 mins, flashing lamp goes to a steady red off light accompanied with a buzzing noise as it is powering off

There are two main possibilities here:

Either A you received a faulty lamp from the company (I have had this happen before) They should warranty their product so you should be able to contact them and have them send you out a replacement to attempt a second time.

If the second lamp does not work then the lamp was not the problem to start with an you have an internal failure. Most commonly in your model when you have a false lamp error the ballast is the cause. If the ballast is bad then you will need to have this replaced, this normally runs $400-$500 to have done professionally.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan